Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-25-2004, 03:25 PM

Default dear digidesign and friends,should i buy \"LE\" ?

I"m so tired of comparing DAWS, I have used Sonic solutions, Dp , Pro tools TDM, and others< even Steinberg's Sx looks terrific...and so many cool feautures.

I want something new for my home, I sold my digi 001 las year ( i had a bounch of free plugs,( os 9) that i miss a lot.
But i need surround sound, plugin latency compensation , Time code, . The problem is that "LE" doesn't give me those "basic feautures".....DP does, LOgic does too, and so Cubase.
I'm so sad because i like editing in pro tools, and is more "user friendly".
I rent a big studio for my big projects, ( TDM . SSL, GENELECS. Outboard gear...etc
But i wish i could at least begin the surround projets at home.Movie trailers and comercials, sometimes jingles.

Well ,i have the money in my wallet now (about 5 grand)for daw+computer+hard drive (forget TDM is too expensive for me)
What should i buy? I need your advice. thanks.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: dear digidesign and friends,should i buy \"LE\"

Franco, ask yourself this. If you're looking for features of which LE will not offer, then why the confusion. I can't speak for other DAW's but DP 4.5 will give you all the frills your money can buy, and then some. Do the leg work in DP and then for mixing, later dump to an HD system.

My 2 cents.:)

CL
Old 11-25-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: dear digidesign and friends,should i buy \"LE\" ?

franco,

I cant speak for anyone else here but I can at least suggest reading on in this forum, learning how frustrated many are with LE's shortcomings. A good place to start for the latest would be here. Myself?...Im a bit torn. Ive gotten so use to PT's interface for the past four years that Im not looking forward to moving on to another program. I also work professionally here and most of the projects I work on come in from PT's as well, but how do you compete with this? It just seems to have gone too far to sit back and watch the others excel in their native formats. The other day a friend of mine asked what I find so much better in PT for OSX (i was still in 9 until recently) and although I know all the new features, I was put on the spot.. to not have all that much to say, especially when things seem to have been running smoother over in 5.x. "ummm...the interface looks sexier?...TCE tool is nifty?...i dont have to switch back to OS9 for PT's anymore?...". The upgrade to 002 from my 001 doesnt even seem to make much sense to me after giving many chances to be convinced.. with having better outboard convertors and pres here anyhow. Things are fine right now for the time being. It hasnt effected my recording thus far but soon enough Im gonna be missing many features my peers will be relishing in if I dont make a move to another program or something. Maybe we'll all be.

Hope this helps in thinking it over.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:38 PM

DP has 64 bit processing. if you want great VST's and sic plug ins, go for Logic. I dont know what else to say.
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Logic Express 7
Mbox
Old 11-26-2004, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I"m so tired of comparing DAWS, I have used Sonic solutions, Dp , Pro tools TDM, and others< even Steinberg's Sx looks terrific...and so many cool feautures.

I want something new for my home, I sold my digi 001 las year ( i had a bounch of free plugs,( os 9) that i miss a lot.
But i need surround sound, plugin latency compensation , Time code, . The problem is that "LE" doesn't give me those "basic feautures".....DP does, LOgic does too, and so Cubase.
I'm so sad because i like editing in pro tools, and is more "user friendly".
I rent a big studio for my big projects, ( TDM . SSL, GENELECS. Outboard gear...etc
But i wish i could at least begin the surround projets at home.Movie trailers and comercials, sometimes jingles.

Well ,i have the money in my wallet now (about 5 grand)for daw+computer+hard drive (forget TDM is too expensive for me)
What should i buy? I need your advice. thanks.
I'm totally confused.
If you don't want LE or HD then why even ask in the Pro Tools forum?
Spend your time in other forums trying to understand what various programs can and can't do, what problems people are having with them and what systems they run well on.
Just seems to be a logical way to gather the info you need.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:07 PM

thanks for your advice friends, i really apreciate it. Dp 4.5 is a good option, mabye adding power core? yes!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:30 PM

I never thought I'd say this, but man, Cubase SX3 look rather interesting. While this is opening an entirely different can o' worms, a friend of mine swears by the sound engine in Cubase and Nuendo (he uses both) compared to PT's (which he also uses from time to time). I'm not ditching PT just yet, as mentioned earler, I'm just too used to it, and after thinking I would have 'fun' learning Logic 6last summer, that baby made it's way to the 'Buy and Sell' list in a little over a month. I lost a couple of hundred bucks but it was worth it, I never want to see that interface again, what a piece of crap that was. So, like a few other peeps, the idea of having to learn something new is as appealing as being forced to watch MTV with the volume on 11.

DP4 and Cubase SX3 are both nice programs. Study their forums, take notes, ask questions to people who use it and narrow it down.