Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-25-2015, 03:19 AM

Default Re: New Guy Here - Coming from Logic

Thanks's for your great answers.

I'm really curious to find out if PT is going to give my mixes a new perspective or improvement. The first impression of course is "... damm I'm too slow that's not good but I have to go through it.
I also want to make a physical and mental "break" between the composing/production stage and the mixing stage (with projects where I do both jobs). If one stays in the same DAW you tend to make less decisions.

N.B.
Concerning the import/mono/stereo thread - maybe you guys already know this software:
https://www.soundizers.com/
I tried it and it is really easy and quick.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:04 AM

concerning "loop"

I dont know if this should be in a new thread but it's still Logic related.

In Logic I can "loop a marker". I explain.
When I choose a marker with the Num keypad f.ex. "marker 4" Logic jumps to "marker 4" plays back and also loops the section (between marker 4 and 5)

Can something similar be achieved in PT.
jump to a memory location f.ex. the "chorus" of the song and automatically loop the chorus section
Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
concerning "loop"

I dont know if this should be in a new thread but it's still Logic related.

In Logic I can "loop a marker". I explain.
When I choose a marker with the Num keypad f.ex. "marker 4" Logic jumps to "marker 4" plays back and also loops the section (between marker 4 and 5)

Can something similar be achieved in PT.
jump to a memory location f.ex. the "chorus" of the song and automatically loop the chorus section
Select the whole chorus ( in the timeline or in a track),
enter on the numpad (for adding a new memory location),
name it "chorus",
Time Properties : Selection (not Marker, not None),
Ok.

Recall that Mem Loc (thereby the selection) via the numpad : , (number of mem loc) ,
(that is : comma number comma)
or by clicking the mem loc in the mem loc window.
Looping will depend on your playback setting (loop or not).
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
As far as why switch from Logic, I don't know that it'll be an either or. Have just heard several colleagues mention that the PT workflow is better, esp for recording real instruments and mixing.
A friend of mine had this bright idea and just said it out loud and clear:

PT is like a console, Logic is like a MIDI keyboard. You usually need two people to use them both simultaneously.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 AM

Sorry Joachim,
I didn't get a notification of your reply.

That's excellent. Time Properties/Selection was the cue. Thanks.

Is there a way the see the selection's name in the marker timeline. I just see the usual markers but not the selections.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM

I do not like that as well, a selection marker looks like other markers in the timeline. Except, if you color them.
That is why I use, like a lot of other people, bogus Audio or midi tracks with empty consolidated clips, that can be named and selected (in the timeline or in the clip list).

Like in the picture in this ideascale thread :
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ts/211047-3779

It is matter of real estate on the display, to have less space for the real tracks, but it is well worth it for me. I usually keep the track height of those "marker" tracks small; with the help of mem locs with the general properties "Track Height" and "Track Show/Hide". E.g. a mem loc showing the marker track small and audio tracks 1-10 big, another mem loc showing the marker track small and audio tracks 11-20 big, another mem loc showing the marker track and audio tracks 21-30, and so on.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-18-2015, 10:29 AM

I don't get one thing Joachim.

a selection marker looks like other markers in the timeline. Except, if you color them

How do you color a selection marker? I literally see NOTHING. My selection markers works perfectly (.1.) but I don't see any yellow symbol I don't see anything in the timeline. But it works.
Only when I set a "normal marker" I get this yellow symbol.

Thanks a lot
Old 10-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
How do you color a selection marker?
Preferences - Display Preferences - Color Coding Section :
"Always Display Marker Colors Lets you choose to
view Marker colors in the Markers ruler, ..."

If you have a selection marker, and no other marker inbetween, you can color the selection marker to your choice in the color palette (and any other marker as well, with a different color).
Old 10-19-2015, 12:23 AM

thank you, I got it and I am able to color single markers. But I don't unerstand your quote:
Quote:
...a selection marker looks like other markers in the timeline. Except, if you color them
My selection markers are invisible. They do work and PT places the left and right locator arrows and loops the selection but I don't see a marker in the timeline and I can't color anything.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:59 AM

I was wrong. Selection Markers do not show in the marker lane. Damn me.
Possibly that made me use "marker" audio or midi tracks. Excuse my misleading info.

Workaround : normal marker for "chorus start", normal marker for "chorus end" and a selection marker for chorus start-end.