Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Creating Templates in PT 7.3.1 Help Needed :)

Hey All,

I need help creating templates in PT le 7.3.1. I want to be able to create a template for a session...and then copy it to the next session so that I dont have to re do all my monitor sends, aux channels (for mixing) and etc.

Any help is awesome,
THANKS,
KYLE
Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 PM

I'm not at my Mac so this is from memory..

You need to set-up your template as a new session with all the tracks, plugins, busses, sample rate settings, etc that you want as a starting point. Save the session.
Close the session.

Then, find the actual session document wherever you saved it. "get info"
Then, you need to check the box that says "stationary" or "save as stationary". This is OSX's flag that it is a template...

When you open the template, you will get asked "Edit the stationary" or "Create new Session" Choose the latter, rename the session, AND PUT IT IN A NEW LOCATION. Otherwise, your new session folder will be in the template session folder. Also, do not open the template from the finder.. Open ProTools first, and navigate to it under "open session" or "recent sessions"

As far as how to set up the details of your template, I suggest watching the ProTools Accelerated Videos that cover that subject. Find them on Digi TV on the digidesign website...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:23 PM

Cool, Will do. Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Or.... this is what I do, it's long in the tooth but hey it works:

Creating a MIX Template 101:

1. Start OR Open a Session and either have recorded tracks or regions in the session.

2. Mix accordingly, add Plug-Ins, Reverb, Delay, Effects, ETC........ to the way you want it to sound like.

3. Close and 'SAVE AS A COPY' INCLUDE all Audio Files and Session Data and name it 'Template' or 'Mix Template' whatever you like is fine, then close the session.

4. Go into the NEW 'Template or Mix Template' folder you just created and Delete the new Audio Files that were just saved in there.

YOUR NEW MIX TEMPLATE IS READY!!!!!!!!!

5. Open an existing Pro Tools Session that you have already tracked and mixed that needs to be exported into the new 'Template/ Mix Template'.

6. Open the Regions List and highlight the chosen regions needed for the new mix. Then right-click and choose "Export the Regions as Files" to the new 'Template/ Mix Template' Audio Files folder.

7. After Exporting the Regions as Files, Close the session.

8. Open up the new Session Template. When asked to FIND and/ or Re-LINK MISSING FILES simply click "Skip All" and DELETE the current regions and CLEAR the current Regions List. When asked to REMOVE the active regions click yes if need be. Do not click PERMANENTLY REMOVE from DISK Regions. If it keeps asking you to delete the active regions in the regions list, keep clicking YES, it will stop sooner or later.

9. Click File/ IMPORT AUDIO, then choose the new Audio Files that you exported into the new Session Template/ Audio Files folder.

10. Import the new audio files as regions and not as new tracks.

11. Open the Regions List and Highlight each new Region(s) and move them according to each track in the 'Template'.

12. Your new Mix Template is DONE!!!

13. After each Session is finished with the new Template, MAKE SURE you "SAVE AS A COPY" and name it Accordingly for each song/ session. That way you can keep the Template free and clear to delete the audio files in the Audio Folder and not be too alarmed while making room for the next session.

Cheers!!!
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub
Old 08-26-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Creating Templates in PT 7.3.1 Help Needed :)

Wow...cool thanks. That's pretty in depth, but I'll give it a try!