How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Lining up insertion points when comping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETThompson View Post
But *how* do I get my cursor to be exactly in line with where the 1st take ends? That's the essence of my question. I appreciate the comments, but I do know how to trim (though I didn't know the keyboard focus shortcuts), it's the alignment that's the problem.

Or should I not be trying to align them? I'm really just trying to make sure there's no 'gap' between where the first take ends and where the second picks up.

With all due respect, it seems like you are making this harder than you need to.. ie: over-thinking it.

Create a new track for the comp to go on.

Using the method described above, alt/copy your first clip to the new track.

Using the trim tool, shorten the beginning of the second clip to approximately where the first clip ends.

Drag the second clip to the new comp track.

Using the trim tool, drag the front end of the new clip until it sits right where you want it to,

Do the same with the first clip so that it ends where you want it to.

**** IMPORTANT**** You will need to create fades for these clips or you will most likely get pops during playback. Either create a small fade at the beginning/end of each clip or a crossfade between the two if touching.

If you are trying to create a seamless comp for, say, a guitar solo.. always try to cut the second, (and any successive), clips immediately prior to the transient you wish to be on the comp take as a starting point.

With Pro tools, you can take a audio clip and place it anywhere and tie it to any other audio clip to your hearts content... you can slide them around, chop them up, whatever... without destroying the original sound file.

Watch through this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxD5NhSJVw8 for some visuals.. It's not the best, but it should suffice for your needs. You might also want to head over to Pro Tools Expert and watch Russ' videos.

Good luck.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-28-2013, 05:43 AM

That's it! Thanks, Eric
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETThompson View Post
But *how* do I get my cursor to be exactly in line with where the 1st take ends?
Have you tried Tab to Transients?