Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Exclamation Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !!!

Hi Everyone !!
I think we've got it ... ! I think we've located the problem, at least on our computer. I hope it helps the other ones having this bizzare issue.
Remember the issue with the MacBookPro and MBox ?
Anyway, to make a long story short this is what was happening back then :
- only one USB port next to the power supply socket on the laptop worked efficiently with MBox.
The other USB port on a MacBookPro caused tons of issues with MBox series similar to our current test setup with iMac 27 inch, i7 2.8 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HD.
I have noticed tonight by switching USB ports, that MBox 2 mini was plugged into caused the box either work fine, or not at all !!
Namely: you can NOT plug anything into USB port on iMac i7 that is the closest to the headphones input on the iMac.
MBox 2 mini runs fine when it's plugged into USB port the closest to the FW 800 outlet.
At the same time only one or two USB ports that are next to it can be used at the same time by another devices ( in my case iLok, and printer). But never three. All USB outputs CAN NOT be used simultaneously, when MBox 2 series device is plugged in.
If you plug ANYTHING to the USB port closest to the headphones output on iMac, the system suddenly freezes ( not necessarily MBox 2. Can be printer, MIDI interface etc.), and the scary window appears prompting you to restart your computer !!!!
I spend two hours tonight, out of curiosity testing different combinations of USB ports on my newest iMac, and I can corroborate the results here on DUC. ( Normally I use 002 with this setup. MBox 2 mini I use only for the on-the-go recordings with MacBookPro)
So, once again : the issue with iMacs and MBox 2 series in my opinion is similar to the USB issue with MacBookPro and USB ports there. Most likely it has nothing to do with BlueTooth, or AirPort ( or combination of both).
The friend of mine who is a pro in computer binary systems says, that it is a combination of digital issue, and power supply efficiency for USB ports, while simultaneously utilizing multiple outputs on one computer.
I hope it helps !
Sincerely,
Chris7514
P.S. DIGI , I am expecting to see your professional comments regarding my post, regarding the issue I just discovered tonight with this particular setup.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
P.S. DIGI , I am expecting to see your professional comments regarding my post, regarding the issue I just discovered tonight with this particular setup.
Very informative, although in this case you should ask apple to give professional comments on this.
If this is a broad issue with imacs, than this should be sticky!
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

Chris

I would like to thank you for your efforts in shedding light on this topic. With help from users like yourself, we can get to the bottom of this issue.

Unfortunately, I tried your advice, and for me, it was unsuccessful. I accomplished exactly what I've been able to all along. I can start a new session. Once inside, I cannot record into the mbox 2 mini. The meters don't even read incoming signal.

When the mix nob is turned all the way to the left (analog), I can hear the output, but it won't record into pro tools. Once I quit, the window closes, but pro tools doesn't all the way. I have to force quit.

Once I do, I can no longer operate any programs on my computer (ichat, itunes, or even system preferences). Instead, I get the colorwheel. I then have to restart the mac to operate other software properly.

Also, I am still unable to open any previously created sessions.

I think your on to something though. We're going to figure this out
Old 03-01-2010, 12:51 AM

Sorry Digi, but my specs are:

7 inch imac i7
2.8 GHz quad-core
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850
1 TB internal
Digidesign-qualified G-technology, 7200 RPM external drive
snow leopard 10.6.2
64-bit kernal: NO
Bluetooth: on/off/and toggled back and forth
Pro Tools LE Mbox 2 mini 8.0.3
Trashed prefs and databases: YES
Repaired drive permissions: YES
Time machine disabled
OS Software: Updated (Apple>software update)
Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Smile Re: Problem solved ???Amazing discovery with MBox 2 series and iMac 27 inch i7. NEW !

Thanks for that Chris. Spot on, I have had this problem since i bought my i5! Really appreciated! :)

Specs:
iMac i5 10.6.2
Mbox 2
Pro Tools LE 8 w/ Complete Production Toolkit

Last edited by Mixmst; 03-01-2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: add specs
Old 03-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Yeah... I will continue testing this system tonight after the gig.
Remember one simple fact : in the past both DIGI and Apple acknowledged the USB issue on MacBookPro in conjunction with MBox series. They officially recommended using the USB port next to the power supply input on MacBookPro. There was something wrong in the hardware part with the other USB port on MacBookPro. Some said that it was a faulty design, that resulted with unsufficient power supply flow to the connected USB device. I think that was the case.
In my opinion the problem with iMacs and MBox 2 series is also USB ports related.
It is NOT the AirPort, nor the BlueTooth. These applications have nothing to do with each other. The digital streams of binary data from PT application doesn't even "cross the path" there. These three applications are running separately, and independently from each other. The problem with iMacs and MBox 2 series is NOT software related. It's hardware related.
Digi and Apple should concentrate their efforts on zeroing in on USB power supply issue. Also remember that MBox 2 series uses an old USB 1.1. iMacs are all equipped with new USB 2.0. Points to ponder...
MBox 2 gets its entire power supply from the USB port on iMac. In case of the recording with 48V phantom power - that's even more "juice" needed !

I'm not criticizing DIGI nor Apple. Just trying to help to solve this bizzare problem, and zero in on an issue, that shouldn't have happened to so many on this forum to begin with. After all we are used to treating Apple and Digi as a good combination of equipment choice for professional audio applications.
I hope it stays like this in the years to come.
Chris7514
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Holy s***. I can't wait to get home from work and try this out. If this does indeed work for me, i'm naming my first-born after you. Including the 7154.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Tylerishanon !
Thanks... However, it may or it may NOT solve your particular computer's problem. It did solve on mine, and probably on someone else's setup. The bottom line is that in case of MBox2 USB 1.1 powered series, and Apple computers equipped with USB 2.0 ports there are so many detailed things that can go wrong. It varies from setup to setup, from customer to customer, from unit to unit...
It seems to me ( and to the experts) that there is no single cause or solution to this bizzare problem. For in stance somebody wrote that his MBox works fine with the "improper" USB port on his MacBookPro. Well : try to plug MBox2 mini on mine ! Only the USB port next to the power supply input works seamlessly with the MBox. The other one crashes the system.
But the "improper" USB port works fine with printers, iLock, MIDI interface and the like... Go figures !
On my iMac i7 MBox 2 mini works perfectly well when plugged into USB port next to the FW 800 outlet. Playback, recording, Phantom Power 48 V, plugs, etc. MIDI interface is plugged in into the next USB port, and the third one has iLock connected. There is nothing plugged into the forth USB port. Plugging anything into it causes the whole system to crash.
Now try this :
Try to plug MBox2 mini into the USB port next to the headphones output on my i7... The PT 8 won't even start ! The icon will be bouncing back and forth in the dock, and the system freezes. Hard re-start of the computer is the only solution than ( you can't even force quit PT application).
I hope this helps.
Once again : I use 002R with i7. MBox 2 mini is part of on-the-go setup with MacBookPro.
Chris7514
Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

IT WORKED! This makes my entire year. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

My wife is going to be so angry with me....
Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM

Hello

For those of you that this USB port solution is working for:

what exactly is working?
Are you able to record into the mbox 2 (micro, mini, or regular)?
Both inputs?
Are you able to consistently record into the mbox using a condenser mic? Are you able to open and close pro tools over and ovr without having to force quit and restart?
Are you able to constantly open previously recorded or created sessions as well as new ones?
Is pro tools consistently working time after time after time?

I still cannot do all of the above. I can open a session and do some mixing, but no recording. I can't quit the application without having to force quit. Then, it messes up my ability to operate any other software. I'm forced to restart.

There are other problems I'm experiencing to, but it's too much to describe. Bottom line is: I'm getting a lot closer. Recent discoveries about this machine are getting me closer and closer to successfully running pro tools without flaw, but I'm still not there