Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Default Preference request...

When you have a digi audio interface (002, 003, MBP, etc) and you launch protools without it, protools will automatically switch to PT Aggregate IO.

The next time you launch protools with the digi audio interface present, Protools will still use the Aggregate IO instead of the Digi Interface.

I understand that is "functions as design", as protools always uses the last audio device. But can we please add a pref checkbox or something to "Use Digidesign Interfaces whenever present"?

Literally every person I know who has switched to PT9 and uses an LE interface has run into this problem at one point and couldn't figure it out. I get a lot of calls from producers and composers I work with because of this issue. Which makes me think that it really should be addressed.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Preference request...

I'd vote for that on Ideascale.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-26-2011, 06:52 PM

or maybe a pref option that is like holding the N key down every time?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
When you have a digi audio interface (002, 003, MBP, etc) and you launch protools without it, protools will automatically switch to PT Aggregate IO.

The next time you launch protools with the digi audio interface present, Protools will still use the Aggregate IO instead of the Digi Interface.

I understand that is "functions as design", as protools always uses the last audio device. But can we please add a pref checkbox or something to "Use Digidesign Interfaces whenever present"?

Literally every person I know who has switched to PT9 and uses an LE interface has run into this problem at one point and couldn't figure it out. I get a lot of calls from producers and composers I work with because of this issue. Which makes me think that it really should be addressed.
This works the way every other interface/DAW works, as far as I've experienced.

The problem with adding a preference is that, inevitably, someone will check it and Pro Tools will default to the Digidesign hardware rather than the interface they want to use and they'll end up with the same problem, albeit through a different route.

I think it's one of those things that will just end up being a problem no matter which way you do it. The solution here is to get people to understand how this works and use it the way it's intended - including using the 'n' key to select the hardware they want to use upon launch.

Also - they should be tipped off that something has changed as, at least on my system, if the previously selected interface is not available, Pro Tools will post a message saying 'Pro Tools will now quit. Relaunch it to use the new playback engine.'

Of course I'm not saying my word is the law here - just trying to give my perspective...
Old 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This works the way every other interface/DAW works, as far as I've experienced.
It is a very sad day, when the one company who always dared to do everything different and became an industry leader because of that ethic, now sits here and uses the excuse of "but everyone else is doing it".

Sorry, but this is absolutely no reason at all to leave it as is. What happened to Digi/Avid being the INNOVATOR instead of the IMMITATOR? Is this the goal of AVID now, to make Pro Tools just like "every other interface/DAW" on the market?

Quote:
The problem with adding a preference is that, inevitably, someone will check it and Pro Tools will default to the Digidesign hardware rather than the interface they want to use and they'll end up with the same problem, albeit through a different route.
Uh, how many users do you know of that connect a Digidesign interface to the computer using Firewire/USB but do not use it as their main interface and instead use an Apogee, Prism, etc?

Here's a more common scenario for you since you want to play the "what if" game.

How many PT users might use a laptop? When they come home they plug in the laptop to their 003/002/MBox. When on the road they use the built in sound card for editing and quick compositions. having the prefs checkbox means they never have to manually switch it BACK to Digi when they come home. I think I would be willing to bet money that there are more of these types of people out there using your products than people who would check the box AND plugin a Digi Interface using USB/Firewire while simultaneously trying to use another USB/Firewire device as their main IO.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Vote here.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM

As quoted....

"I suggest at least adding a preferences checkbox in the Operations tab that says, "Use Digidesign interfaces whenever present".

That way if you lauch PT with your interface off at some point, the next time you launch PT with the interface on, it will automatically switch back, instead of defaulting to using whatever audio interface was previously used."

What about a kind of internal hierarchy system of detection?
Or is that kind of what you mean?
....I don't know if I like the idea any way - I've never liked having control taken away from me.

I understand your frustration, but I also agree with Digi.
It seems to me to be something that's easy enough to work around by simply making it part of one's routine.
"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
It is a very sad day, when the one company who always dared to do everything different and became an industry leader because of that ethic, now sits here and uses the excuse of "but everyone else is doing it".

Sorry, but this is absolutely no reason at all to leave it as is. What happened to Digi/Avid being the INNOVATOR instead of the IMMITATOR? Is this the goal of AVID now, to make Pro Tools just like "every other interface/DAW" on the market?

Uh, how many users do you know of that connect a Digidesign interface to the computer using Firewire/USB but do not use it as their main interface and instead use an Apogee, Prism, etc?

Here's a more common scenario for you since you want to play the "what if" game.

How many PT users might use a laptop? When they come home they plug in the laptop to their 003/002/MBox. When on the road they use the built in sound card for editing and quick compositions. having the prefs checkbox means they never have to manually switch it BACK to Digi when they come home. I think I would be willing to bet money that there are more of these types of people out there using your products than people who would check the box AND plugin a Digi Interface using USB/Firewire while simultaneously trying to use another USB/Firewire device as their main IO.
O.G. - You probably don't know me enough to know that I'm the last (ok, maybe not THE last) person to shoot down a good idea.

However I also have tons of experience in these things and, from that experience, I see the other side of the coin.

And, for the record, I know tons of people with multiple interfaces - Digi, Focusrite, Aurora, you name it.

Now, with that said - if this is something the community wants and thinks it's a good idea, please vote for it. We pay attention to that.

What I want to avoid is implementing something that would only end up confounding a different set of users. I'm sure there's likely a way to do this that would make it close to fool-proof. The question is - is this something you/we want engineers to spend their time on rather than working on more troublesome issues or implementing requested features?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
And, for the record, I know tons of people with multiple interfaces - Digi, Focusrite, Aurora, you name it.
Do they use the Digi interface (like a 2626) through firewire or through lightpipe?

You do realize you can only have one LE interface connected at a time, right? So having something like Prism Orpheus or Apogee Rosetta800 connected via firewire AND a digi 003 connected via firewire at the same time is going to give you a different set of problems anyway. Or having a Focusrite USB interface and an MBox, same thing. Chaining one off the other using audio cables (analog or digital) is a different story and wouldn't be effected by what I'm proposing.

In my experiences working at studios and composer's studios around LA, I have never once walked into a room where someone had two different firewire or USB interfaces connected to the computer at the same time THROUGH firewire or USB.

If there are common setup scenarios that use this I'd be interested to see how they get it to work, since PT9 still won't let you use multiple audio interfaces simultaneously.

Derek Jones Linkedin
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 05-27-2011, 07:41 PM

I saw this post earlier and made me think about this suggestion. How about this? How about a preference pane that allows you to prioritize your interfaces? It could keep a list of all the interfaces you have used and you could sort them up or down in order of priority. And if there is something you only used once, or have sold it could be removed from the list. And anytime a new interface is detected it automatically selects it, or at least has a pop up that says "new device found, use as audio I/O?". Just some ideas.