Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Default When are Thunderbolt drivers coming? Echo Express ships June 8th.

Sonnet's Echo Express PCIe to Thunderbolt adapter now has a shipping date of June 8th. Now that this is finally a reality, I'm wondering how soon Avid will have drivers ready, as I'm under the impression these are required to use it.

I know Avid has been showing off the Magma at trade shows, so I know they already have a working driver.

Since these units were originally supposed to come out a year ago, I would hate to see it delayed any longer after the units are available.

I'm hoping someone from Avid can let us know here.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Default Re: When are Thunderbolt drivers coming? Echo Express ships June 8th.

Now that some of the major motherboard manufacturers like Asus etc are including Thunderbolt in the PC world, I'm actually looking forward to it. Hopefully this will start to pick up some steam now with 3rd party Thunderbolt devices.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-31-2012, 03:09 AM

Same here, I can't wait untill it is all usable on Windows.
Though I think I'm going to sit it out untill Intel releases a six or 8 core of the Haswell processor somewhere in 2013. This chip suposse to have the Thunderbolt built inside instead of on the mobo what you have now with Ivy/Sandy Bridge (the Z77A-GD80 looks great though). I'd love to replace my current FireWire PMIO with the Apollo and several UAD plugs.
i7 5820K @ 3.3Ghz, 32Gb, Windows 7 Ulimate 64, 1x M.2 512 SSD, 1x Spinpoint F1 1TB, 2x Spinpoint F3 1TB, ProjectMix IO, Axiom Pro61, PreSonus Monitor Station,SM ProAudio Stage Buddy, KRK VXT6, AKG K271, SE220A, PT 12.4.0, AMT IEP, Omnisphere, Trilian, EWQL CCC, EWQL Spaces, Ministry Of Rock, Gypsy, Fab Four, NI Komplete 9 Ultimate, NI Maschine, ProjectSAM Orchestral Essentials, Waves V9 Musician 1, Morphoder, CL4

Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludia View Post
...sit it out untill Intel releases a six or 8 core of the Haswell processor somewhere in 2013. This chip suposse to have the Thunderbolt built inside instead of on the mobo...
Cool. I didnt know that.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02 AM

I'm reluctant to buy some thunderbolt drives. Would like to, but they are insanely expensive (most of the time). I guess the ubiquitous pc market will help spread thunderbolt and we're going to see many products within a year. At least I hope so.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:55 AM

A Thunderbolt expansion chassis with Windows "shouldn't" be a problem at all, as Windows sees the chassis as an extension of the PCIe bus, and just works. As for OS X, that's where drivers for the specific cards comes into play.
And as for PT, and version 10.2 specifically? All I can say at this time is
More to follow.........
Tommy