Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools has become a nightmare (Windows)

In Bootcamp, try this:

https://www.autohotkey.com/
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
BTW.. I have had a terrible time in bootcamp win10 on my mac book pro with much worse audio app/driver performance than in macOS. But my MBP is a few years old and not a newer one. So it depends..
macbook pros are not ideal for bootcamp.

The problem is the DPC latency.. it CAN be lowered by disabling a few things.. The newer macbooks are better but still not 100%, no where near it (i can personally attest to this).

I recommend the new mac pro or imac pro for windows use. I never recommended a macbook pro, or mac mini or anything else.

The new mac pro has DPC latency on par with many windows DAW computers.

The imac pro has the lowest DPC latency of any computer I have ever seen in my entire life, and yes, I mean even against purpose custom DAW builder windows machines.
This is why it is ideal to use at 32 buffer in Pro tools.. Also by enabling windows high performance mode, you get a minimum of 25% more plugin instances on windows on the same imac pro than OSX in the same pro tools build. It can go up to 50% with certain plugins. I tested this extensively and routinely use bootcamp on my imac pro.. it means I can always use virus control centre even if i upgrade to catalina, and use a ton of midi hardware editors not available in mac os.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
In Bootcamp, try this:

https://www.autohotkey.com/
That's the one I know of, which is why I asked if there was an easy way to do it.

In mac os X, in the OS itself, I simply type out the pro tools menu item name and add my shortcut. No extra code or programmer like GUIs.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I really need to ask... why no hyperthreading on just a 6 core? Why disable it?
On my rigs, when AAE errors were an issue, disabling hyperthreading reduced spiking dramatically.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
On my rigs, when AAE errors were an issue, disabling hyperthreading reduced spiking dramatically.
wow ok, i lose SO much performance if I disable it on mac os, both in PT *and* Logic.

Sorry to hear that as it shouldn't really be that way in 2020.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
wow ok, i lose SO much performance if I disable it on mac os, both in PT *and* Logic.

Sorry to hear that as it shouldn't really be that way in 2020.
I have to admit that I haven't experimented with this in the most recent release, I probably should, but at's all working so well that I don't feel the pressure to do so.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-04-2020, 05:14 PM

I feel the same way too. I've been having with Pro Tools since day one. At first, it was the I/O not working properly, then it would record my microphone but I wouldn't hear it during playback, it would continuously crash until I got extra RAM, an SSD, and my brother cleaned out some unneeded stuff in my computer, and now I'm having an issue with percussion where if I put in the I/O (which changed after I got my upgrades) for the percussion, it makes this loud buzzing noise and when I try to use plug-ins for percussion the sound becomes all distorted. It doesn't matter if it's the Xpand2 plug-in or Finale's GPO.

I've been using Pro Tools to import MIDI from Finale and then try to make it as realistic as possible. It's just I've never had so many issues with a composition software. I use Windows 10 that has a Samsung SSD drive as well as an Intel Core i3 7th Gen CPU chip. I run the most recent version of Pro Tools
Old 02-04-2020, 11:28 PM

The only weird issue I am having with 2019 is occasionally it locks up for, maybe, 5 seconds max, and I think it's going to crash, but it all recovers and you see all the cores on the perf meter go into the red, then come back down, and get a cpu overload message. It's in Mojave specifically this happens, so I don't even know if it's PT's fault.. (?)
Actual crashes haven't happened yet, at all, which is more than I can say for Cubase 10.5 whose demo I installed last night..
So, overall, PT is really good. I realised in a large project last night also, that needed a ton of clip gain editing and also was running too hard for the cpu so needed a lot of midi commit, just how much time was saved by doing that in PT rather than Cubase or Logic. Cubase and logic you need to split the clip for ever gain segment then fade to cover pops.. it's literally like HOURS of time saved. In Logic there is no hide and make inactive option for bouncing, and only uses one core, so.. same thing again.

But of course, back on topic, I wonder if the user experiencing what they described in the very first post of the topic, is what I am experiencing with the occasional overloads that come out of nowhere when they happen (PT meter might even be showing barely any activity just before the freeze & overload). If so it might indicate an issue in the cpu optimisation code they have been doing on PT, and affect both OSX and windows. It certainly is the weirdest thing I have seen since I started using PT.. this random lock up and then all cores hitting 100% then overload. Really weird.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:45 AM

Man, as a former HD Native user who couldn't bring himself to pay the $1,000 to renew his subscription, I just have to say, the more I use Reaper, it boggles my mind that PT is even still a thing. I mean, I get it to a point. People (like me at one time) are used to it. They know how it works. They've memorized all the shortcuts. Oh, and it's THE INDUSTRY STANDARD. But holy crap. If you have the patience (and the time, which can be difficult, I know) to adopt, boy, is it ever a revelation. I also realize the infinite customizability of Reaper is daunting, but I'll be damned if practically EVERY feature folks request for PT isn't already available in Reaper, PLUS myriad other things.

And YES, it's still frustrating whenever I have to take time to re-learn how to do things that I had long since committed to sense memory with PT, but again, patience pays off.

Then I found this clip of a guy who really nails the main points of the benefits.

But hey, I realize this probably isn't the place for such a comment, so if the powers that be need to delete it, I understand. But man, seriously, if you're someone who keeps wishing things were different with PT, and you think you can wrangle the time and patience, I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCvJsG-zrQ
Old 02-06-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
Man, as a former HD Native user who couldn't bring himself to pay the $1,000 to renew his subscription, I just have to say, the more I use Reaper, it boggles my mind that PT is even still a thing. I mean, I get it to a point. People (like me at one time) are used to it. They know how it works. They've memorized all the shortcuts. Oh, and it's THE INDUSTRY STANDARD. But holy crap. If you have the patience (and the time, which can be difficult, I know) to adopt, boy, is it ever a revelation. I also realize the infinite customizability of Reaper is daunting, but I'll be damned if practically EVERY feature folks request for PT isn't already available in Reaper, PLUS myriad other things.

And YES, it's still frustrating whenever I have to take time to re-learn how to do things that I had long since committed to sense memory with PT, but again, patience pays off.

Then I found this clip of a guy who really nails the main points of the benefits.

But hey, I realize this probably isn't the place for such a comment, so if the powers that be need to delete it, I understand. But man, seriously, if you're someone who keeps wishing things were different with PT, and you think you can wrangle the time and patience, I highly recommend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCvJsG-zrQ
I tried Reaper a few times. While you are correct about it's abilities, when a client is breathing down your neck, familiarity is paramount for me.

Plus, there's the compatibility issue when sharing sessions.

Learning a new DAW needs to be done in "down time," of which I have very little. After all these years of muscle memory, I feel like Pro Tools just runs itself.

Or perhaps I'm just lazy.

So while I respect your position, it lacks appeal to me..

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com