How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 11:22 PM

Default 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASH

Hi,

Will this 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASH drive speed be compatible with pro tools 11 and or pro tools 12?

http://www.frys.com/product/8310197?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The standard drive speed has always been 7200 rpm for pro tools.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2015, 04:13 AM

Default Re: 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post
Hi,

Will this 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASH drive speed be compatible with pro tools 11 and or pro tools 12?

http://www.frys.com/product/8310197?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

The standard drive speed has always been 7200 rpm for pro tools.

Thanks
SSD's don't have drive speed so your last statement means nothing. Now if you're talking read/write speed any ssd is way faster than a spinning drive. The ability to make use of that higher speed is limited by the interface used between the drive and the system. There are plenty of people using ssd's with PT.

QAPLA!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Yes, under normal circumstances there should be no problem to use it for your Pro Tools work.
Btw you can get it for even less money from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...amsung+850+Evo

If you want to have the really best SATA SSD for music recording I would recommend the 850
Pro series. These have been approved to work very well with any music application incl. Pro Tools.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-512GB-...amsung+850+Pro

But again, the 850 Evo should do the job.
If you do not use the latest Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.4, you need to install and use this little app
which enables Trim support for your 3rd party SSD.
https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

There is a free version which will work well, for $10.- they offer a -Pro- version which just gives
you more control and some extra features.
Anyway to have your SSD work like advertised and have a decent long liftime you have to enable
Trim support finally.

If you are using Yosemite 10.10.4, you can activate Trim support via some Terminal commands
which unfortunately is not possible with earlier versions of Mac OSX.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06...rd-party-ssds/

All the best to you, VRW
Old 07-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
SSD's don't have drive speed so your last statement means nothing. Now if you're talking read/write speed any ssd is way faster than a spinning drive. The ability to make use of that higher speed is limited by the interface used between the drive and the system. There are plenty of people using ssd's with PT.
Did someone wake up a little grumpy today?

I just discovered this SSD late last night. I didn't dissect this SSD. My bad. But that's why I'm here. What better place to get real answers. Sarcastic or not.

As a pro tools user since 2007. It's a known fact 7200 rpm was the standard drive speed. That's all I was saying. That's saying something.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRW View Post
Yes, under normal circumstances there should be no problem to use it for your Pro Tools work.
Btw you can get it for even less money from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-In...amsung+850+Evo

If you want to have the really best SATA SSD for music recording I would recommend the 850
Pro series. These have been approved to work very well with any music application incl. Pro Tools.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-512GB-...amsung+850+Pro

But again, the 850 Evo should do the job.
If you do not use the latest Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.4, you need to install and use this little app
which enables Trim support for your 3rd party SSD.
https://www.cindori.org/software/trimenabler/

There is a free version which will work well, for $10.- they offer a -Pro- version which just gives
you more control and some extra features.
Anyway to have your SSD work like advertised and have a decent long liftime you have to enable
Trim support finally.

If you are using Yosemite 10.10.4, you can activate Trim support via some Terminal commands
which unfortunately is not possible with earlier versions of Mac OSX.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/06...rd-party-ssds/

All the best to you, VRW
Thank you for turning me on to everything here! Very kind of you!

Yes I'm going to get your recommendation the 850 pro series.

All the best to you!
Old 07-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Default 500GB Samsung 850Evo SSD 3D NAND FLASH

I apologize for my ignorance as my reading time of my technical journals has been hampered a bit lately… But I have been using SSD drives with ProTools from almost the moment they came out. And yet this is the first I'm hearing about this thing called "trim". Can someone enlighten me as to why I have to have this Trim on? I have had zero problems with any SSD drive from any third-party company up to this point. So is this really absolutely necessary? Or just another 'guideline' from the ultra-techies among us.?
Old 07-11-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Did someone wake up a little grumpy today?

I just discovered this SSD late last night. I didn't dissect this SSD. My bad. But that's why I'm here. What better place to get real answers. Sarcastic or not.

As a pro tools user since 2007. It's a known fact 7200 rpm was the standard drive speed. That's all I was saying. That's saying something.
What I was trying to get across was that talking about a spinner's drive speed means NOTHING in relation to an ssd. Nothing sarcastic about what I wrote. Apples and oranges, apples and oranges.

QAPLA!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
I apologize for my ignorance as my reading time of my technical journals has been hampered a bit lately… But I have been using SSD drives with ProTools from almost the moment they came out. And yet this is the first I'm hearing about this thing called "trim". Can someone enlighten me as to why I have to have this Trim on? I have had zero problems with any SSD drive from any third-party company up to this point. So is this really absolutely necessary? Or just another 'guideline' from the ultra-techies among us.?
Ugh, we really don't need yet another thread diverging with yet another TRIM discussion. If search this forum you'll find hundreds of posts covering TRIM, including some recent threads. If after reading those you still have questions tag that onto a relevant thread specifically about TRIM or start a new thread for your question, and I'm sure folks here will help answer your specific questions.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
Yes, you should have Trim support enabled on using SSDs. It lets your SSDs perform as advertised and have the lifetime you will want them to have.
It´s great that you have not experienced any problems so far but the older the SSD the more chances issues may appear finally.
Apple have enabled Trim support for all their own SSDs by default in the OS and they know why they are doing it.
If you ever decide to use Yosemite 10.10.4 in the future you however will not need any 3rd party app anymore as Apple finally have given back users
the possibility to enable Trim support for 3rd party SSDs via Terminal commands with 10.10.4.
Trim support keeps your SSD clean and therefore fast and healthy.

Other much more knowledgable guys here than myself like Darryl Ramm etc. are recommending using Trim support for SSDs as well, so this is not my
personal idea/opinion only.

Its up to everyone himself of course finally but if you want the best out of your SSD, you better should have Trim support enabled for it.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ugh, we really don't need yet another thread diverging with yet another TRIM discussion. If search this forum you'll find hundreds of posts covering TRIM, including some recent threads. If after reading those you still have questions tag that onto a relevant thread specifically about TRIM or start a new thread for your question, and I'm sure folks here will help answer your specific questions.
+1