Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 AM

Default Noob Questions

Hi, I'm an ableton user who wants to try pro tools.

Question, are those used versions of Pro Tools on eBay legit? They send an ilok and ilok account credentials it seems. That's how it works? Also I read something somewhere recently that made it sound to me that if I lose the ilok I'm out of luck and I won't be able to use it anymore. Is that true or did I read it wrong?

Also, I do already have an ilok for Antares. Can I have two different iloks plugged in? Or can I consolidate them to a single usb stick?

I am actually going back to college now so I could actually get the EDU version for a similar price, $299 - but the used ones on eBay are cheaper $225-250. And if I do buy the EDU version is that just verified once and then it works forever? I'll be taking a smattering of courses over the next 1 or 2 years to hopefully get a certificate. If PT will stop working after I'm done school then I guess I'd lean towards not buying the EDU version.

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Noob Questions

Why don't you try Pro Tools First, it's free and has quite a few limitations but you will get to know if PT is for you before cashing
Old 12-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchpole View Post
Hi, I'm an ableton user who wants to try pro tools.

Question, are those used versions of Pro Tools on eBay legit? They send an ilok and ilok account credentials it seems. That's how it works? Also I read something somewhere recently that made it sound to me that if I lose the ilok I'm out of luck and I won't be able to use it anymore. Is that true or did I read it wrong?

Also, I do already have an ilok for Antares. Can I have two different iloks plugged in? Or can I consolidate them to a single usb stick?

I am actually going back to college now so I could actually get the EDU version for a similar price, $299 - but the used ones on eBay are cheaper $225-250. And if I do buy the EDU version is that just verified once and then it works forever? I'll be taking a smattering of courses over the next 1 or 2 years to hopefully get a certificate. If PT will stop working after I'm done school then I guess I'd lean towards not buying the EDU version.

Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks for your thoughts.
If you have an "ilok2" or "ilok 3" you can use it for Pro Tools.

You also may download a free trial of the full version here. (upper right hand corner)

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-03-2019, 11:42 AM

OK, so I could merge a used license into my ilok account and then put the license on my physical ilok so I don't have to use up two USB slots right?

And buying used licenses on eBay seems OK right? There are a couple sellers on eBay who seem to have very many ilok licenses to sell. Just seemed odd to me they'd have so many.

I guess I could start with PT First or the free demo but $200-300 is something I can afford ... I have a friend across the country who uses pro tools, so I think I'd probably stick with it so we could more easily collaborate.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Buying on Ebay is not risk free. But it usually works out okay.

And yes, as said above, you can use your existing ilok 2 or ilok 3. It will hold hundreds of licences. The original ilok that looks like a green plastic key will not work.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Hello all,
I'm using pro tools first and had a Quick question

How can I move projects?

My local disk is filling and need to move unused projects/sessions to an external drive.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Buying on Ebay is not risk free. But it usually works out okay. ....
If you use PayPal and don't get what you pay for, you can claim for a Refund.
Can take a month or two to get your money back.
Buyer pays for Return Shipping (if applicable).
Old 12-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_schell20 View Post
Hello all,
I'm using pro tools first and had a Quick question

How can I move projects?

My local disk is filling and need to move unused projects/sessions to an external drive.

Thanks
Best to ask this in the PT First section of the DUC. Moderators will probably move this anyway. Regarding "projects", that word is used to refer to cloud-based work. What resides on your internal drive are "sessions". There are 2 ways to off-load to an external drive.
#1-(the easy way): drag the entire session folder for each song onto your external drive(with the option to COPY or MOVE)
#2-(the SAFE way): Open each song>go to FILE>Save Copy In>check the box to Copy Audio Files>save to your external drive

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave