Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM

Default Help With Pro Tools And Source-Connect...

I've used Source- Connect Standard successfully for a few years. The last few times I've used Source-Connect I've gotten a beep intermittently. I've managed to determine that it's not in the audio going out of my computer, but rather in the audio coming in. Sometimes it's quite low, down around -50 db, but occasionally louder, a lot louder. Thankfully, the person at the other end can't hear it since it's an incoming stream, not an outgoing stream. Anyone else experiencing this? Windows 10, Pro Tools 2019.12 and then Pro Tools 2020.3 using S-C Link Plug-in, Port Mapped.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 PM

Default Re: Help With Pro Tools And Source-Connect...

Hmmm, that's weird. I had different issues and ended up running it on a separate laptop from my main PT system. The laptop had a simple interface(Presonus Firebox) and I hit it with a stereo feed off my rig(with talkback routed in). No DAW needed on the laptop(Source-Connect took care of what was needed). Maybe that will be your solution as well

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-06-2020, 04:29 AM

What happens to me here on Verizon FIOS is that when I'm on the phone (I get phone/TV/internet on one connection to the FIOS network) I hear beeps. That means someone is trying to call-in to me. If I had the right phone I could put the person I'm talking to on hold and switch over to the incoming caller.

This shouldn't be happening to The Weed but with everything being VOIP anyways I wouldn't be surprised if it's a similar thing. The person on the other end wouldn't hear it as you mentioned. I don't think it's in anyone's studio but in the network itself.

There's an eerie possibility that the network connection has been wiretapped. Weed - are you working across border or only in Canada? Big Brother might be listening in.

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Jack, I'll work with anyone in the world who wants to hire me ��

I have changed some routing in the interval between using Source-Connect last, but it's akin to changing routing on a board. You would get feedback if routed incorrectly, not occasional beeps. When I'm on S-C's ECHO Test, the beeps are quite low. When I was testing with another person in their home studio, the beeps could be quite loud and sometimes there was a kind of "ripping" sound/distortion. Again, only on the incoming signal, the person at the other end heard nothing. I thought it might be an overload at the S-C servers, but then, why was it only the incoming stream to me and not the incoming stream at the other end? And I know it's only the incoming stream to me, because I recorded the ECHO Test and any beeps were only in the incoming stream, plus the fact the other person heard no beeps when I was online with them.

I did get a reply in one of the S-C forums, but not too helpful. Suggested a higher buffer size in Pro Tools, from 512 and up, but I can't record at that high a buffer, too much latency. They also suggested a trial of Source Nexus Pro and use that to route signal instead of the Source Link plug-in in Pro Tools, but the responder must have missed the fact I posted I'm on Windows. Source Nexus is only available for OS X.

Not a deal breaker as the beeps aren't in my outgoing stream. I'll try higher buffer sizes and lower quality in Source-Connect and see what happens. I always record my end and send the raw file to the studio at the other end anyway as the quality is better.

I know Source-Elements is slammed with purchasing requests and support requests as all the people who either don't have it at home or are scrambling to put in home studios are clamoring to get it and get it working.

Thanks to both of you for posting. Be safe and be well.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction