Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2000, 03:02 PM

Default delay problem with digi 001

I have a b\w 350,
when i plug an instrumemt/mic to the digi001 input,there is an anoying delay time,
when i play or sing i ear myself with some delay, i know that there is a natural delay time in ad\da convertors, but this delay is realy major.
I would like to get any information about this problem.
thank you very much.
david
Old 02-12-2000, 03:22 PM

Default Re: delay problem with digi 001

the only way around this delay is to monitor through an external mixer. route the card outputs to the mixer, as well as the track you are recording. somehow you need to route the recording signal to both the 001 and your monitoring system, while muting it's output in pro tools. then you will hear what you are playing in relation to what you are hearing. one possible example of this routing setup would be:

on a mackie 1604:

1. route the 001 outputs to channels 1 + 2. submix these to subs 1 + 2. output these to main mix.

2. route the recording track to channel 3. sub this channel to subs 1,2, and 3. patch the output of sub 3 into your 001. this will be your record send adjustment, and you will hear the track through subs 1 + 2.

3. after record selecting a track in pt, pull the fader down all the way so no sound is passed through this track.

4. when recording, you will now hear the output of the 001 and your input signal lined up.

5. this situation is different for every mixer, this is only one solution. allen&heath mixers are sometimes harder to setup esp. if you have the mix wizard 16*2. then you need to use pre fader aux sends and such.

as an alternate solution requiring no mixer board, you could try reducing your hardware buffer in pro tools to 128. this will give you the minimum latency, around 2-3 ms.
don't give up, the latency issue is a minor one once you get used to it, it's not quite like a tape machine. you will find your recorded material is recorded at the correct time in relation to your existing track material even though you hear it delayed while tracking (unless you route it though the mixer). i have set my rig up to test this by setting my buffer at 1024, dae buffer at 8, and recording the output of the card to the input of the card on different tracks. they were still lined up (although they would still be 14samples off, i believe, due to the da/ad converter delay) in tempo with the existing tracks.
hope this helps, welcome to pt5le. if you need help setting up your mixer someone here can help you with your specific model.
let me know how this works for you.
Old 02-12-2000, 09:21 PM

At the 128 hardware buffer setting you should not notice a delay. Even 256 is ok with me, and I am sensitive to this latency thing. An outboard mixer will do the trick as well, but first try lowering the HW Buffer.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 02-12-2000, 11:30 PM

david,

Nothing against you personally, but how many times do we have to explain to people something they really ought to know before they buy the 001? 001 is a HOST BASED recording system, therefore complete relying on the speed/memory/performance of your computer. Given that, you can adjust the amount of "delay" you hear (actually called "latency"), so that it is unnoticeable. Like dans said, 256 should do the trick just fine (especially for instruments), but 128 is always there to appease the most uptight of ears. When you're done tracking, however, flip the setting back to 1056 (or the highest #, I forget what it is), so your computer can have a bit more heft in the processing dept. Listen, I'm using the built-in mic pre's, external reverbs during real-time playback, a bunch of MIDI gear patched into the 001 directly WITHOUT an external mixer...you don't need one. Keep your mixer free for other projects/uses, the 001 doesn't require it.
Old 02-13-2000, 07:54 AM

Give him a break guys. First off. SoundManager 8.6 with Vision's Acadia AE allows you to monitor the direct signal. Sans latency. I was even surprised. Check the board when the first batch sold. Honestly David. You have this same delay on a G-4 450. Check the headphone mixer/mic pre alternatives for vocal tracking.

Old 02-15-2000, 12:40 AM

Thank U very much for your tips and help.