Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-18-2013, 01:46 PM

Default CoreAudio Driver no longer launches "automatically"

Until a few Pro Tools/CoreAudio Driver versions back, when I launched any of my DAW's configured to use Digi003 as its hardware, CoreAudio would launch along with it.

Since then, it's not happening any more, I first need to launch CoreAudio "manually", then the DAW, and all works fine. Then, on exit, CoreAudio quits along with the DAW.

Annoying, to say the least, but I guess I can live with it, assuming that's the way it has to be. But does it? Or is there something I don't know about that I need to tweak/configure to get it working properly again?

I'm on a Mac, by the way, 10.8 (but it started when I was back on 10.6, so I assume it's not OS related) and the software affected is pretty much everything I can think of: Ableton Live, DSP-Quattro, Peak Pro, the lot.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Re: CoreAudio Driver no longer launches "automatically"

Do you have your 003 selected in your MAC system settings as default playback?? If you change this to built in audio it wont open automatically... from what I know
Old 04-19-2013, 01:24 AM

No, I don't, I'll check it out, but then again: I don't want to have Digi003 as my default system playback (for this I have my Harman/Kardons), and up until that elusive point in time/PT upgrade I never did, and it all worked as it should.

Plus, if I select my Rane 62 DJ mixer as my audio interface (either as default, or even after I've opened my DAW), it all works without me having to worry about some CoreAudio thing.

Digi003 (= Avid's CoreAudio driver) does not function properly anymore - if I select it after the DAW is already opened, it plain won't launch/make a sound, and if it's the delaut audio interface, CoreAudio driver needs to be opened manually beforehand.

So it's either something that Avid (un)intentionally messed up, or something I still don't know. But the Rane mixer example seems to suggest the former of the two.

ps. sorry, I keep calling it CoreAudio Driver, but I just noticed that it's now proudly called CoreAudio Manager !!
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM

I have the same problem here with PT10.3.5 and 002R. I recently installed a fresh new OS 10.8.3 in readiness for PT11. Next I installed the 002/003 Drivers for Mt Lion, then PT10.3.5. Pro Tools works fine, however CoreAudio no longer launches automatically for my other audio applications.

To try and get to the bottom of this, I started all over. Re-installed OS10.8.3, and then just installed the 002/003 drivers for Mt Lion. CoreAudio then worked fine - it automatically launched for all my other audio applications as it always has done in the past. (I noticed that the CoreAudio Manager was located in a folder called Digidesign in the Applications folder, and it's version number was V9.)

Next I installed PT 10.3.5, and as a result, CoreAudio no longer launches automatically for the other audio programs. I checked the Applications folder again, and the previous Digidesign folder has been deleted, and CoreAudio manager is now V10.3.5 and has been renamed AvidCoreAudio Manager or something similar, and now lives in the Avid folder.

Would it be safe to manually copy back the previous V9 CoreAudio Manager that the 002/003 Mt Lion Driver package initially installed to replace the the new CoreAudio manager installed by PT 10.3.5? Or should I try installing the 002/003 driver package again now that PT is already installed? Am a bit nervous about installing a known old CoreAudio Manager over the new one installed by the PT 10.3.5 installer.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice on this.

27" 2011 iMac. OS10.8.3. 16GB RAM. PT10.3.5. Digi 002R. 002/003 Drivers (Mt Lion version).
Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM

I'm also having tons of problems with the new versions of the Avid CoreAudio Manager. I downloaded the latest version of the drivers for my 002 and it doesn't work at all - the CoreAudio Manager won't even launch.

That's with the driver called "002_and_003_Driver_10_3_3_Installer_78629.dmg "

I need to go back to V9 of the CoreAudio Manager to get it to work with non-PT playback. Is this ok to do even though I'm using V10 of PT? If so, where can I get the download of an older version of CoreAudio Manager?

Thanks for your help with this frustrating problem
Old 05-09-2013, 04:32 PM

I just keep it on the menu bar and launch coreaudiomanager before using anything that might require sound. I've not been able to get it to launch automatically any more.. I don't use it much so it's not a real issue for me though.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM

Wow! I thought I was the only one. I don't get any sound. Good tips here. I would like to use the same monitors for playback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 AM

Same here. Works fine in PT but does not work properly for other apps. Is there a solution?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Wish I had answers for you guys. I am having the same problems.

Strangely, certain audio apps such as Peak and Logic consistently open Core Audio and play back fine. However, audio playback from within web browsers is non existent. I get no sound from youtube videos and no audio from sound cloud which is really frustrating as I also run a label and promos are sent via soundcloud.

Just wanted to chime in to let Tech Support know that there are a lot of us out here with the same issue.

Hoping for a solution.
16 GB Ram
Digi 003 Rack
Pro Tools 2018
Old 11-05-2013, 05:53 AM

I got mine working. I've also found that if you hide PT, the core audio driver works with everything. Don't close it. Just hide it.

Disk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live