Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-07-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Re: a note from Mackie about the Mackie control

Why is she? Did you send this thread through to Marina?

How is Marina aware of this?

Can't you, as a representative of Digidesign jump on the phone and have a chat to one of your development partners? And develop?

Mackie won't listen to a customer telling them "digidesign said you can" - they're telling us to go ask you...
Old 08-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Avid

Hi Matt,

I left Marina a very detailed voice message (she was at lunch), left my phone number and referenced this specific thread. Again, the more important consideration is that the Mackie folks who are involved with HUI don't need this orientation.

Ed
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 08-07-2002, 02:47 PM

Excellent - thanks!

Have you talked with the HUI guys too?
Old 08-07-2002, 03:56 PM

Hey Developer Guy Ed Gray,

I sent a copy of your post to Mackie and got this reply:

FROM MACKIE TECH SUPPORT:

What Ed says is true. It is possible for controller to use these "Personalities". The Mackie Control however uses a different language that we developed to allow it to be better integrated with other DAW programs. To make the MC work with one of the Pro Tools "personalities" would require a completely different hardware design. This is why we are willing to make this new "language" available to Digidesign to integrate into their software. It doesn't make since for us to redo the hardware on the MC when we already have the HUI which was specifically designed for Pro Tools. If you are looking for a less expensive alternative to the HUI might I suggest the new Baby HUI. This will be a smaller format controller that uses the HUI "personality" to fill the market need for a less expensive alternative to the HUI. Baby HUI will be available soon. If you would like more info on the Baby HUI I would be more than happy to provide with the info we have on it.

Ray Tantzen
Technical Support Representative
Mackie Designs Inc.
800-258-6883
425-487-4333
[email protected]

END OF MACKIE RESPONSE

Obviously we are NOT looking for the Baby HUI! What do you say to Ray, Ed?
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 08-07-2002, 03:59 PM

From this response it looks like to me that Mackie does NOT want to cut into sales of the HUI.

I think it would be fair to say that HUI sales would PLUMMET if the Mackie Control worked for Pro Tools.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor
Old 08-07-2002, 04:49 PM

Again.
We are not looking for the Baby TOY.
The baby hui looks (cosmetics and specifications) like a joke.
We mean , we need a good alternative and/or extension of our HUI.
Which the mackie control comes damn close.
I don't think that a lot of HUI users will jump out and buy a Baby.
Period.I wasted enough energy on this and previous topics about this silly manufaturers behavior.
Up to another Brand ?

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] follow me boys !!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 05:24 PM

Considering how openly emagic is accusing Mackie to have more or less ripped them off by making a competing product by rebranding the one they developed together, I would question Mackies agenda here.

Ben
Old 08-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Avid

Dear rtcstudio:

Thanks for forwarding the Mackie response (and thank you, Ray, for this response). I like the first sentence, but it "goes downhill" from there. A completely different hardware design? We are talking about mapping the controls of a MIDI device so that they respond to gestures made in Pro Tools and vice versa. Mackie can achieve very usable compatibility in the manner I described above - as they know. The notion of our modifying Pro Tools code to recognize and work with this new device makes less sense given Mackie's knowledge of Pro Tools, their experience with HUI, and the broad success that Mackie and other vendors have had connecting a variety of MIDI controllers to Pro Tools. If Mackie is interested in this type of compatibility, they can implement it handily.
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 08-07-2002, 07:21 PM

I have to say that all synths (old and new) are MIDI and can be controlled with any MIDI sequencer or Keyboard controller.
This formula should also work in the world of control surfaces. I'm finding this gear war a bit ridiculous and costly.
I own a HUI, but I have worked on Control 24 and ProControls and in the film post industry all three work very well.
My 2 dbs
Old 08-07-2002, 10:21 PM

I usually do not get involved and just cruise the DUC for info, but I just have to say something here, THIS IS RIDICULOUS : the stance companies, whose survivals depend on our $$$ to survive , are taking is just plain silly, I use DP,logicaudio and Protools and all 3 cohabit happilly on my mac, the hic is, if I want a controller, what are my choices? well let's see : I can have a logic control (perfect for logic, but shaky under hui emulation for DP or PT), mackie control (perfect for DP and....nothing else), or the amazing but waaaay overpriced procontrol (9k+ for 8 faders HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!) or the bulky and ugly C24, and both only work with PT, though I don't really mind because I primarily mix with PT..... well I guess my only fallback is motormix.... oh well, I guess NONE of the above is gonna see my money, I'll just get a more stylish/ergonomic TRACKBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

P.