Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-18-2005, 08:52 PM

Default Ready for this one?

I've been using PTLE for nearly three years now. In that time I've had a number of problems that went away just as inexplicably as they showed up. Today I've experienced the weirdest thing so far...
First off, my current project involved some MIDI programming up front - creating a drum sequence then recording the individual parts to their own audio tracks. At some point, after all the sequencing had been completed and I had begun recording the tracks, that session decided to stop cooperating, giving me an error message citing a "slow or fragmented disk." (Yeah, I defragged and did all the normal fixes. Didn't help.)
The session was obviously corrupted so I tried rebuilding the session by importing tracks one at a time then testing playback to make sure I was only working with good files and was able to root out at least one corrupted MIDI track. Here's where it gets really weird...
I recorded a couple of the MIDI tracks to audio and when I went back to listen I heard this very slowed-down music that wasn't on any of the MIDI tracks. Somehow as I was recording a MIDI track consisting of nothing but bass drum, it picked up music from another session on my hard drive but it was slowed down to less than half-speed! WTF??!!
So after calming myself down a bit I tried recording a different MIDI track and the result was the same, but a different song....!?! I'm talking about an actual mix of a song slowed way down, infiltrating my session as I'm recording MIDI to audio.
This is rreeaallyy freaking me out. Has anyone ever encountered anything like this before?

PTLE 5.3.3, MBox
Windows XP
2.4 Ghz CPU
Pentium 4
Old 09-19-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Ready for this one?

Hi,

I've not experienced this, but I'll make one comment. I've read here in the past that defragmenting a drive is not recommended as it can compress files. The recommended procedure is to copy the data to another drive, format the fragmented drive and copy back the data. I'll see if I can find a reference to this here somewhere.

cheers,
Peter
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Ready for this one?

actually, I think the problem was defragmenting with the stock standard MS defragmenter.