Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Bug report: VCA won't follow group

Hi follow these steps to reproduce this issue;

Create 4 mono audio tracks, group them (volume and mute) . -you can now change volume of group by moving any fader in the group or by drawing breakpoints. -as expected.

Add a VCA track to this group -if you move a fader on the VCA the other members of the group don't change, if you move a fader on the audio tracks ONLY the audio tracks move, if you draw a break point it draws on all grouped tracks VCA and AUDIO tracks. -the unexpected behaviour is that the VCA fader will not move as part of the grouped audio tracks when you move the faders on mix or edit page.

Probably not a deal breaker but pretty odd.

Cheers

Bruno
Old 06-29-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post

Create 4 mono audio tracks, group them (volume and mute) . -you can now change volume of group by moving any fader in the group or by drawing breakpoints. -as expected.

Add a VCA track to this group -if you move a fader on the VCA the other members of the group don't change, if you move a fader on the audio tracks ONLY the audio tracks move, if you draw a break point it draws on all grouped tracks VCA and AUDIO tracks. -the unexpected behaviour is that the VCA fader will not move as part of the grouped audio tracks when you move the faders on mix or edit page.

Cheers

Bruno
yes, thats exactly what i see .. i just did not know that it should NOT be like this ..

thx for the clarity ...

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 PM

That's the bug right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post

Cheers

Bruno

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *
Old 06-29-2017, 04:56 PM

In ProTools -VCAs are only added as Type "EDIT Groups" ... MIX groups or MIX/EDIT is not possible with VCAs

If you want to make a mix or mix/edit group of VCAs (Or a mix or mix/edit group of audio tracks and also include VCA fader/s) The work around is to make another VCA that controls that group.

Cheers

Bruno

Last edited by SBP; 07-01-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 PM
Avid

This is how VCAs within groups have worked as long as I can recall using them. Unless i'm missing something, this definitely isn't new to 12.8. For sanity sake I launched 10.3.10 and the behavior is there as well, as expected.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connor@@vid View Post
This is how VCAs within groups have worked as long as I can recall using them. Unless i'm missing something, this definitely isn't new to 12.8. For sanity sake I launched 10.3.10 and the behavior is there as well, as expected.
thank you Connor !!!

pqlior, does this change the behavior to what you remember ??? i found this on Sound on Sound this morning .. the Bold is mine ..

It is possible, if you want to, to turn off these different group functions and make a VCA group function like a normal group. In the Mixing tab of the Pro Tools Preferences window there is an option called 'Standard VCA Logic for Group Attributes'. Deselecting this option means that VCA groups function more like conventional groups; so, for example, hitting a slave track's solo button makes the solo buttons on all the slave tracks come on.

It is also possible for slave tracks to be members of more than one VCA group, in which case the contributions from all the VCA Master faders that are connected to them are summed together. Mute, solo, input monitor and record enable all follow the normal rules, and VCA Masters can even be nested inside another VCA group.

i may become a VCA convert !!!

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I just stumbled upon this:
I have a drum mix group that has different types of tracks in it- some audio, some aux and one VCA. They're grouped together (not set to follow global) and set to follow volume and mute.
When I ride any fader in the group, the VCA one doesn't follow.
When I ride JUST the VCA, the rest of the group doesn't follow.

That's a new one...
Not a bug - that's not how VCAs work.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-30-2017, 01:35 PM

VCAs shouldn't be made members of mix groups.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 AM

Especially not their own mix group. Behavior seems normal to me.

Steve
Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM

My understanding was that VCA's are used to control a mix group(s). I never thought to assign a VCA to a mix group nor have I seen it done... even in any tutorials.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 07-01-2017 at 07:10 PM.