Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-21-2002, 04:56 AM

Default Help External hard drive w/Le

Hey everyone,
Oh happy I was just purchaseing my new 80gb 7200 RPM external fire wire hard drive. If I'm so happy why am I so frustrated. I need you guys help. It's a Western Digital if this make any diffrence, Problem is I have a G4 with OS 9 running Pro Tools Le when ever I tried to record audio to this drive I get a DAE error 9060 encounter and this also on Play back. when frist install it was working fine now I keep getting this code what can I do. Also on this computer I have DP3 for Midi. do you fell this is due to a slow transfer rate, but it is 7200 RPM.
Help me please
Javan [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2002, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Help External hard drive w/Le

Does your drive have the oxford 911 chipset? Also, make sure you have ONLY the apple Firewire drivers installed.
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 03-21-2002, 10:14 AM

Im having the same problems with a Maxtor External, MBox, IBook G3 and ProTools LE.
Try un-installing the driver software for the drive that the drive came with, throw the icon for that drive in the trash, empty the trash, reboot, do a disk erase on the drive..because you might not be able to initialize it from MAC and then see if you still get the error.
I still get the error......also try kicking up the memory for the DAE folder to about 80.........other than that I dont know what to tell ya. I sent email to Digidesign describing the problems and have not heard back yet what to do about it...I've tried a zillion different things to get this to work but have not had success...I get the error when I try to record....even if I do it on the internal drive and I have that other drive plugged in I will get the error...
Old 03-21-2002, 10:37 AM

Thanks Lotus1 I'm going to give this a try good luck with yours I just bought the drive yesterday 3/20/02 and was planning to be in musical heaven buy now but instead the drive is pissing me off.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:58 PM

It seems a lot of us is have this problem. I did the same I remove the drivers that came with the CD, But I couldn't have get the MAC drivers to see the external drive so I'm back using the drivers with the CD and having the same problem.
Old 03-22-2002, 12:29 AM

I am having the same problem as well. my firewire drive does not have the oxford chip set, but it worked for a short while. i also sent an email to digi support and am waiting for a reply.

when i reformatted the drive on another rig running HD, the drive would record 32 tracks of audio simultaneeously w/ no problem. on my G3 w/ LE nothing doing.

why do you suggest using apple drivers for the hard drive?

i can't get the mac drive tool to recognize the firewire hd so i'm not sure how to accomplish that.

good luck all, and post when you find a solution. i'm hesitant to pop another couple bills for a new drive and i don't want to go scsi. it's a bind.

scott
Old 03-22-2002, 03:54 AM

I had this same problem with my EZQuest drives a few months ago, and here's what I got from DigiDesign support.

Some third-party firewire drivers are not, as Digi put it "ProTools friendly". This means their formatting software does something that makes PT think the drive is either full or incredibly fragged.

The cure is to re-format with the Mac drivers. However, as some of you stated, my Mac wouldn't see the drives. The solution I stumbled across was to find a plain, vanilla driver to use for formatting that ProTools likes. The one I use is DiskControl 1.01, and came with some old Glyph drives I had earlier.

A lot of new firewire drives are shipping with a driver called Hard Disk Speed Tools. Do not install this puppy. If you have, go to your extensions folder and disable all it's components before you try another driver.

Good luck.