Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-11-2020, 12:16 PM

Default Tracks get slowed down randomly during playback

Hello,
I will set a Click Track to a certain beat, then I'll record a drum track. But THEN, when I go to record the guitar track, both the click and the drums seem to SLOW DOWN at some random point in the song. It does this un-noticeably sometimes, and this messes up the entire song.
What's going on?

My specs: Lenovo Yoga PC, Windows 10 version 1093, intel core i3, 4 GB memory, 2.4 GHz, sample rate 41000, Scarlett Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Tracks get slowed down randomly during playback

Hi welcome to DUC

Are you recording audio drums or MIDI?

There won't be a bug in Pro Tools or your computer or your setup (but thanks for the clear info there) that causes this, it is likely a tempo setting in Pro Tools or something else you are doing.

A couple of possibilities. Most likely you are in tick based time and have tempo automation, the little blue conductor icon in the transport window. You likely want to be in manual tempo mode.... well I'm assuming Pro Tools First has that, like most folks on DUC I don't use First.

There will be lots of tutorials on tempo and tempo automation/"conductor" mode on YouTube or you can look this up in the Pro Tools Reference guide.

If it was just parts of audio track or tracks (especially separate regions) that were slowing down then it could be you accidentally dragging out those regions with the mouse, the pitch would shift down unless elastic audio is engaged. But if the Pro Tools click track is also staying in sync then that's not it (but if you have recorded an audio click track that might be it).
Old 09-11-2020, 02:28 PM

i3 and only 4GB Ram is a dead horse!

... and probably a slow spinner drive inside that laptop! Not meant for audio work

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-11-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
i3 and only 4GB Ram is a dead horse!

... and probably a slow spinner drive inside that laptop! Not meant for audio work
But, but, but... that memory config does meet the Pro Tools First systems requirements. i3 does not, but those marketing differences between Intel desktop processors don't even make sense to quote as a spec without more info.

Even if nobody on DUC is going to recommend this config... if you are not using many (any?) plugins should be able to record a few tracks, and it's unlikely that a low/under configured computer would cause tempo related issues, things will usually just crash. ... so worth spending a few minutes to understand temp automation, etc. to see if that's the problem.