Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2001, 02:42 PM

Default New SDII format?

Is PT 5.1 using a new Sound Designer II format? First, the icon has changed to a colored one. Second the old files have no specific icon. Third, when I listen to sound regions from the Import Audio menu, it sometimes causes PT to crash and the audio interface to output a big annoying high pitched sound. I have experienced that on both my systems, on a G4 and a 9600.
Old 07-06-2001, 04:05 PM

Default Re: New SDII format?

I think the only thing changed about the SDII files are the unique file identifier. The colored ones signify files having been generated from PT 5.1 and having the identifier.

SoundApp still sees 'em as good ole SDII files.

There is something weird with Pro Tools 5.1 and how it acquires the hardware. A few times, when opening Microsoft Word while PT is open, Pro Tools would geek and say it couldn't reacquire the hardware. Active in background was off, Pro Tools was idle, but the all sound was being pumped through the Digidesign outputs, as opposed to the Mac built-in outputs. *shrug*
Old 07-06-2001, 04:21 PM

I think the only thing changed about the SDII files are the unique file identifier. The colored ones signify files having been generated from PT 5.1 and having the identifier.

SoundApp still sees 'em as good ole SDII files.

There is something weird with Pro Tools 5.1 and how it acquires the hardware. A few times, when opening Microsoft Word while PT is open, Pro Tools would geek and say it couldn't reacquire the hardware. Active in background was off, Pro Tools was idle, but the all sound was being pumped through the Digidesign outputs, as opposed to the Mac built-in outputs. *shrug*
Old 07-09-2001, 02:14 PM

GROINK:
There must be something more to it than that. If you have the preference in PT checked for AES31 compatibility mode and attempt to import SDII files from a previous version of PT you get a dialog box which says the files must be converted first. Uncheck that pref box and they import without a problem. PT5.1 seems to add some additional info for BWAV/AES31 compatibility (perhaps for PT on Windoze). Anyone know the answer?
-Polaris
Old 07-09-2001, 02:29 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by midimac:
Third, when I listen to sound regions from the Import Audio menu, it sometimes causes PT to crash and the audio interface to output a big annoying high pitched sound.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a 5.1 bug that is supposed to be fixed in 5.1.1