Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Default latency on bussing midi/redrum to audio tracks

hey all. just wanted to say this board has been a HUGE help to me since i started even thinking about getting PT. you guys rule. now, i'm here with a question or two...

using PT 6.9, i set up a midi track that plays a drum part through redrum in reason adapted 2.5. i was bringing that back in on a stereo aux bus, and it was fine, mostly. the only problem with that was that i had all of the drums on one stereo aux track, so i couldn't do any processing (eq, reverb, compression, etc.) to the individual drums. i know there are some effects and whatnot built into redrum, but i want to use PT's effects.

first off, is there a simple way to bring each track/instrument of redrum back to a separate aux return instead of just one stereo aux for the whole "kit"? could i have set up one midi track per "drum" instead of lumping them all into one midi track? how exactly? if not, then i have a second question:

the way i came up with to get around this was to go through the song in real time, soloing each drum (first kick, then snare, etc.) in redrum, while bussing the output on the drum aux return, and recording from that bus to a new mono audio track, one per drum. i noticed while that was going however, that there's now a perceptible delay in the new audio versions of the drum tracks. it's consistent from drum track to drum track, but now the drums are all behind the rest of the song. does anyone know a simple way to figure out how many milliseconds/frames/whatever i need to nudge the new audio tracks over to line them back up? or is there a better way to have done what i did to avoid this problem?

i hope i explained this clearly enough!

thanks in advance,
mike
Old 09-06-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Re: latency on bussing midi/redrum to audio tracks

There is a way.

In Reason, instead of having the stereo out of redrum go to the mixer, which in turn goes into channels 1-2 of the reason hardware interface, do the following.

Flip to the back of the devices in reason (tab), and route a cable from the mono output of each redrum track (kick, snare etc.) to a different channel on the reason hardware interface. then open a mono aux track in PT for each one of those, and insert a mono reason plugin on it. set the input on that plugin to the corresponding channel of the reason hardware interface. Now every track will come up on a different PT track.

btw, i'm not sure about the latency you got, but i noticed the samething. i think reducing the hw buffer makes this problem better.

good luck.
sg
Old 09-08-2005, 07:11 AM

Default Re: latency on bussing midi/redrum to audio tracks

thanks a lot, sg. that worked great!