Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 AM

Cool Touchscreen Mix Window?

Has anyone tried this? I've always wondered if it was possible and touch screens are becoming affordable on eBay. Even if they weren't super accurate, it would still be rad to have a touchscreen set into my desk that I could make really fast adjustments on the fly with.

I'm a live sound engineer by trade so you can see why I'd like a feature like this. I mix quite well in a rush and sometimes wonder if I could get a better starting mix on the fly in PT. I'm aware there are control surfaces out there for this, but they just seem so damn expensive considering what they do.

I've got a big ole recording console that will be used with my rig hopefully in the next few months so I can always mix outta the box, but I may not like that console for that. So yeah... touchscreen anyone??!! Or is this a silly pipe dream?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Touchscreen Mix Window?

Some people are reporting success with iPad running one of several available DAW control apps.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-20-2011, 04:45 AM

Have been using Touchscreen Laptops for quite sometime now. The Wacom and Dell toucscreen monitors also work pretty well. I am anxious to try the iPad though. Seems like a no-brainer. Just make sure they respond to finger input well! Just because it says touchscreen does not mean that when you put your finger on X pixel, it will control X pixel. Some touchscreens are off by a little. With the pen input touchpanels, you get better accuracy.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeApps View Post
With the pen input touchpanels, you get better accuracy.
That's for sure. I love my iPhone but I have yet to find a musical score creation program that works 1% as well as one I had on Palm devices up to a dozen years ago. Fingers are too fat for some jobs.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM

There are a couple apps for iPad that work well for controlling PT.

Air Display is a decent screen repeater (it's essentially like another monitor, one that's touch screen) but it's a little too slow to react for my taste.

The mixing console emulators work much better in this capacity because they're only drawing faders and pots etc., not entire desktops, but the trade-off is that their functionality is more limited.

I think of these options as best when used remotely (recording yourself in one room while PT is in another). A full-sized multi-touch screen monitor would be incredible, but expensive. Single-touch is cheaper but I always find myself wishing for multi-touch.