Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Default Re: hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I miss pitchblender and soundblender and I hate the fact that Soundtoys is now only native along with autotune.
Ej
I used to love Pitch Doctor, Pure Pitch, Sound Blender & Speed on my TDM system. Pitch Doctor was my tuner of choice as I never liked the sound of AutoTune. To be honest, they've all likely been superseded. Sometimes you just need to look forward and leave the past behind

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 03-18-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah but no neve or API aaxdsp...big hole here.

Ej
Neveish?
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/p...console_n.html

Also, McDSP Channel D is pretty sweet and emulates SSL, Neve and API
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Default hdx aaxdsp is dying

Quote:
Yeah but no neve or API aaxdsp...big hole here.
I use Plugin Alliance for Neve and SSL G Channel Strip

This company (Sknote) is under rated big time. Their Distressor plugin is really good, and I have the API and it sounds great as well. And for the price, wow...

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index....ware-products/

All AAXDSP.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM

Old 03-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Being that it's rendered on the card, audio information has to be converted from Analogue to Digital, which would be the same thing for any dsp solution including the Appolo system. You have to convert the Audio signal into a numeric signal for it to be processed by the chips.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-18-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Being that it's rendered on the card, audio information has to be converted from Analogue to Digital, which would be the same thing for any dsp solution including the Appolo system. You have to convert the Audio signal into a numeric signal for it to be processed by the chips.
hmm then how does unison pre amp work? i was always told it was pre a/d

i mean what you say makes 100% sense now that i am reading it, don't get me wrong..

Ok edit, from SOS:
asked UA what they meant by saying that the plug-ins change the "gain staging response” of the hardware. It turns out that whereas the Apollo preamps are capable of exerting up to 65dB gain prior to A-D conversion

So i guess just unison is pre a/d but dynamics and stuff would be post?
Old 03-18-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
This whole HDX thing has been really difficult for me to decide.. I know that getting it instantly solves my issues of low latency monitoring through PT itself, and sidechain ADC..
However i still can't find anyone to tell me how native VI's perform setting the HDX buffer no higher than 128.. if you happen to use VI's and HDX please let me know, it would be so appreciated! This is the last missing link I need to know about.

As far as plugins, i am more than thrilled with what AAX DSP already offers...

One last question, do aax dsp plugins hit the sound before A/D like apollo console or after? If after, then they are strictly monitoring, no point printing with them really.
Vi works on a different process when using HDX, the Buffer of the HDX is already fixed and independent of the Software buffer (from what I undertand) The plugin dsp processing is done on the card itself and doesn't need Software buffer size. So setting a higher buffer count for vi use would not affect the dsp processing as far as I know of.

The Audio signal has to be converted from Analogue to digital (numeric) to be able to be processed by the chip, therefore EVERY system always process the audio Post conversion, even the Appolo system.

Quote:
well that sucks about autotune.. true.. they have even made a realtime UAD version.. an effect like that should exist in DSP.. I wonder how much latency using autotune live would add or the new waves tune live int he dsp montoring environment. I gave a lot more than just bomb factory. Softube's AAX DSP line is full of character comps and EQ's. MCDSP too.
I just also realised that metric halo haloverb and sonnox reverb are dsp also, so.. that covers verbs just fine.
Autotune has a live option that is light on latency and can be used natively quite nicely.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-18-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
hmm then how does unison pre amp work? i was always told it was pre a/d

i mean what you say makes 100% sense now that i am reading it, don't get me wrong..

Ok edit, from SOS:
asked UA what they meant by saying that the plug-ins change the "gain staging response” of the hardware. It turns out that whereas the Apollo preamps are capable of exerting up to 65dB gain prior to A-D conversion

I know it sounds confusing, but that's how dsp processing works, no choice about it. What it is before though is D/A but it's post A/D. That's one of the reason we speak alot of round trip latency in a system, because it has to include the AD and the DA.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Ok edit, from SOS:

Gain staging would have nothing to do with processing, so yeah. They have a way to change the Preamp impedence but that is at a hardware level.

Wave-T.com
Old 03-18-2018, 10:41 PM

Anyone else using brainworx g console and sknote api?

Wasn’t aware of sknote api. I have distro and brainworx n.