Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-09-2014, 04:23 AM

Default hardware inserts and delay compensation PT8

I am trying to use hardware inserts during mixing. I can not get tracks to come back within 40 samples of where they are supposed to be. This is big deal for drum, bass and guitar. Can someone be so kind as to tell me the best way to do this? I am very sick of manually spotting audio with every hardware bounce. It's enough to make me want to switch to Logic. I have 15 years of pro tools experience. I am a full time musician.

I am trouble shooting with a session with only 3 tracks: main file and 2 hardware return audio tracks. I am sending the audio of a printed click track that is exactly in time. I've attached screen shots.

I normally would take a send from a track to a hardware output and then back into another track with the same input number (track 8 out, track 8 in). ADC is always turned on. The 'compensate for delays' option is always checked in the i/o menu. Apogee states to use a value of .38 in the hardware insert section of the i/o menu. I have it set for that value, but strangely, changing the value has no effect on when hardware inserts are printed.

Any rtas plugins, except for virtual instruments always have a tdm plugin following them. All ADC track indicators show green or orange-no red tracks.

I have tried also sending audio from the i/o out of the channel insert. This makes a difference, but is still not right. The tracks actually are printed earlier than the original.

I just got done replacing all RAM, all hard drives , and reinstalling all software for the computer. The troubleshooting session is a fresh session.

Here is my system:
-Pro Tools HD 8.1.1
-pci-e core card
-2 pci-e accel cards
-apogee ad16 with pt-hd card
-apogee da16 (connected via AES to ad16)
-MAC pro 3,1 8 core, 8GB ram
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 4.19.54 AM.jpg (51.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2014-10-09 at 4.19.54 AM (2).jpg (32.4 KB, 0 views)