How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Wink Is it legal to use free plug-in software on a commercial recording

Hello There

I was wondering is it legal to use free plug-in software such as Drumcore Free, the free version of Guitar rig 5 and Yellow Tools Independent Free etc, on a
commercial recording. Will I be expected to pay royalties to the software companies if I do.
The free versions have everything need at the moment and I will not be able to afford to buy the full versions of these particular software for a while.

I very much would appreciate any information on this.

Yours Faithfully
Gary Gould
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Is it legal to use free plug-in software on a commercial recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gould View Post
Hello There

I was wondering is it legal to use free plug-in software such as Drumcore Free, the free version of Guitar rig 5 and Yellow Tools Independent Free etc, on a
commercial recording. Will I be expected to pay royalties to the software companies if I do.
The free versions have everything need at the moment and I will not be able to afford to buy the full versions of these particular software for a while.

I very much would appreciate any information on this.

Yours Faithfully
Gary Gould
Very very unlikely. And none of these companies would be able to deal with the mechanics of collecting royalties or really know that their software was used to create a specific recording.

However *you* need to read and understand the license agreements you enter into for any software you use. That is the only way you can get a definite answer for your particular setup.

Darryl
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 AM

ist definitv legal to use free Versions for Commercial recordings..,
Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 AM

It all depends on the license. If the license says you can use free/demo version for evaluation purposes only, then no, you cannot use it for paid projects. But the license must clearly say that it is "for evaluation purposes only".
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Just as most have noted you need to read each EULA individually.
I Am Not A Lawyer but tend to agree with JFreak. If its listed as evaluation only then its almost certainly restricted to non commercial use. One of the things your paying for with the paid version is the rights to use it commercially. And many times the developers may be paying licensing fees themselves on other IP they are using in their product that gets conveyed to the end user with a full license.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-22-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl ramm View Post
however *you* need to read and understand the license agreements you enter into for any software you use. That is the only way you can get a definite answer for your particular setup.
^^^^
this!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM

How could one find out which of their plug-ins were used in said song at said time on said release, ect?
http://www.facebook.com/truestpain

Mac Mini OSX Mountain Lion 10.8, 2.6 ghz, 8gbRAM, i7 Quad Core, Pro Tools 10.3.5, MBox 3 Pro
Old 05-23-2013, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruestPain View Post
How could one find out which of their plug-ins were used in said song at said time on said release, ect?
Hey, some of the forensic guys have toys that can identify something that was sampled from a 45, sped up, played backwards, and with a ton of EQ on it.

I've got the feeling that they might could develop a "signature" for a given plug in and find instances where it has been used.

But I really doubt if anyone would bother...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh