Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2016, 03:22 PM

Default Master Template

So I have a Master Template that I use for final mixdown.. I save each session that I import so this Template is getting pretty filled up. I'd like to save a copy of each session within the individual Song Session file itself so the Master Template could be emptied. My question, how do I just save one of the sessions within the Master Template to the corresponding Song session by itself? I tend to save the whole darn Master Template to the individual song session and then go and have to erase all the tunes that don't belong in the song session. Thank you so much for the help.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Master Template

Not sure about anyone else, but this is clear as mud to me Especially if you are opening this "template" session and importing to it. Let's make some assumptions here(and do correct me if I am off base):
Your "template" session has a bunch of plugins and maybe several AUX tracks with reverb/delay effects?
You have automation on some/all those tracks?
You recorded audio in simple blank sessions with a bunch of new tracks?

If the above is what you are doing, I suggest doing things quite differently. If you are on Pro tools 9 or newer, create your new session FROM a template(which you can create and customize as you like, more info further down). If you are on and older version that doesn't offer session templates, make a session with all the tracks, plugins, settings and routing you like and save it, but NEVER open it again(unless you want to update it). Instead, create a new blank session for each song/project and save to your recording drive, and once this new(empty) session is open on your screen, go to File>Import>Session Data, find your "template" session and import all the tracks. My point is, why not start recording in a session that is already filled with your favorite plugins, effects and routing, ready to go? If any of the plugins have a lot of latency, save the template with those plugins inactive, then you can make them active when you get ready to mix

If none of this makes sense, explain in more detail what you do, and what you WANT to do

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Yeah Albee, Sorry for being so unclear. I just have a Session I import into for some final mastering and for some reason I called it a Mastering Template. I'll Bounce WAV stereo multiple mono track audio from song sessions into the Mastering Template. I end up saving the Mastering Template each time I finish working so it's got a lot of individual song sessions (bounce wav stereo multiple mono audio) saved in it. I want to save a copy of each finished session back to it's individual song session file, but until now, I end up saving the entire Mastering Template into each separate song file. I think I may understand how to do this now. Do I go back to the individual song session and then import into it from the Mastering Template session, or can I stay in the Mastering Template and export the specific song audio back into the individual song file? Thanks again Albee, richrdC
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM

hmmm, tough call. Personally, I would send the "mastered" audio file into the Bounced Files folder in the original session. I would not import back into the session, especially if there was a bit depth and/or sample rate change as the import would screw with those. As an alternative, if you really wish to save all the details of the mastering session, select just the track in question(and the Master track if you used one) and go to Export>Save Selected Tracks as New Session. I would likely send this into the original session folder. That would put your mastering session, with ONLY the relevant track(s) inside the original session folder(nice way to keep everything together)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 PM

Thank you Albee.. I sure appreciate the help.