Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Question Aux sub mix / Master channel ?

For quite a while now I've routed all my tracks to a sub mix then to the master I had read along time ago that this was better practise. But today as I've been using a few native plugs (VTM) aswell as TDM AC1 etc I've been running in to going over my ADC limit so I decided to miss out my Sub mix and just route to the master. Obviously this solved my ADC issue, I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts/preferences are on sub mix then master or just route to master. All info/suggestions would be most appreciated

Cheers

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-16-2012, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Aux sub mix / Master channel ?

I usually route all track to a sub master in order to apply bus compression. However depending on the mix, I sometimes use mix groups such as drum and bass, other instruments, vox, fx, then those out to a sub master. That allows each group to interact with compression or limiting rather than just strapping an L2 over the entire mix.

The only real reason I use the submaster though is because inserts are pre fader vs post fader on the masert fader. That way fades get the same amount of compression...

I'm assuming you probs know all of this and that is why you are using a submaster as well.

As for the adc issue, I haven't had that problem.

Pro Tools 2019.latest
Mac Mini Server. OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram, SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt, Apogee Element 24
Old 09-16-2012, 06:45 PM

I also route Everything through aux's in groups, typically drums, bass, guitars, 2 sets for vocals, then to a another aux for bus compression and such. Then to the master fader. Also do this So I can fade in or out and not mess w the buss compression. Also do this so I can import other tracks to listen to for mix comparisons and route them straight to the master and not end up w processing on them. Can also route the final aux into an audio track and record it. I honestly don't care about the adc on the master fader and last buss as everything is processed through them already so nothing can possibly be out of time and no phase issues.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I also route Everything through aux's in groups, typically drums, bass, guitars, 2 sets for vocals, then to a another aux for bus compression and such. Then to the master fader. Also do this So I can fade in or out and not mess w the buss compression. Also do this so I can import other tracks to listen to for mix comparisons and route them straight to the master and not end up w processing on them. Can also route the final aux into an audio track and record it. I honestly don't care about the adc on the master fader and last buss as everything is processed through them already so nothing can possibly be out of time and no phase issues.
Thanks Guitardom I'm going to carry on using a sub mix then master like I used to

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 3.1 Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I used to go directly to the master bus, but then saw a video from Groove3 on setting up sub-mixes for mix groups and I've doing that ever since for all the reasons already mentioned. I've not done what you initially said, which is route all tracks to a sub mix aux before the master. My preference has been to set up mix group subs.
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6