Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM

Default If you Had $3K at your Disposal...Which Computer?

I'm thinking of selling my iMac 24" and upgrading to a Mac Pro. The reason is that my iMac is maxed out at 4g of RAM and I have a lot of VIs that will probably eat of a lot of my resources. I am looking at the MP quad-core, but am not yet convinced that it's the best buy. I keep seeing threads that indicate that PT may not even be able to use the multicores, making that feature nearly meaningless to me. Being able to upgrade to 8g of RAM would be nice. I am also reading about how the PT may not be ready for the new Macs. I was considering maybe getting an older Mac Pro, that has been tried and true.

BTW, when I say I have $3K, that is for everything: all extras and taxes.

thanks.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Re: If you Had $3K at your Disposal...Which Computer?

Protools does make use of all the processor cores. The things you've read about setting the number of RTAS cores to 1 less than the total is to allow Protools to work with non realtime plugins. It is a flaw in the plugins design (not Protools) and needs to be fixed by the plugin manufacturer. As for the RAM, Protools is a 32 bit application and therefore does not use more that the theoretical limit of 4 GB or RAM (Actual available is less). Specifically designed plugins may use the memory beyond the 4GB limit but that is on a plugin per plugin basis. According to Digidesign, they are working on this. Also with Apple coming out with Snow Leopard in September as a 64 bit OS, Protools has some work to do.

Get the best machine you can afford. You can save some money by getting your additional hard drives and memory from anyone other than Apple. Check www.macsales.com.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.2 running Protools 2019.12.0
Old 07-31-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Protools does make use of all the processor cores. The things you've read about setting the number of RTAS cores to 1 less than the total is to allow Protools to work with non realtime plugins. It is a flaw in the plugins design (not Protools) and needs to be fixed by the plugin manufacturer. As for the RAM, Protools is a 32 bit application and therefore does not use more that the theoretical limit of 4 GB or RAM (Actual available is less). Specifically designed plugins may use the memory beyond the 4GB limit but that is on a plugin per plugin basis. According to Digidesign, they are working on this. Also with Apple coming out with Snow Leopard in September as a 64 bit OS, Protools has some work to do.

Get the best machine you can afford. You can save some money by getting your additional hard drives and memory from anyone other than Apple. Check www.macsales.com.
Thank you. Saw a refurb MacPro 8-core for pretty cheap. I will need to get more ram and a bigger hard drive, though. What machine do you have?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 PM

I'm working with a Macbook Pro for mobile work and a Mac Mini in the project studio. It does what I need for now but I too dream of having a Mac Pro under my desk some day.
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
MacOS 10.15.2 running Protools 2019.12.0
Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 PM

I've decided to give up mac and go back to PC. Buying a Neko tomorrow.

jk
Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Welcome to the club. I also switched from mac back to pc (two weeks ago). I bought a core i7. My 3 year old imac 2.1 GHz DualCore with 2gb ram is lightyears behind the core i7 reguarding to power. Go for it, it's brilliant.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 PM

I bought a refurb 8 core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro (switched from a PC) and haven't looked back. It runs PT8 just fine and doesn't crash like the PC. I can run lots of VI's, even the CPU intense stuff like Eleven or BFD with no problems. I eventually upgraded from 2 GB RAM to a total of 6 but it ran fine with just the 2GB. The refurb cost me $2399 plus shipping and then a little more for the RAM but still way under $3000.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThursday View Post
I bought a refurb 8 core 2.8 GHz Mac Pro (switched from a PC) and haven't looked back. It runs PT8 just fine and doesn't crash like the PC. I can run lots of VI's, even the CPU intense stuff like Eleven or BFD with no problems. I eventually upgraded from 2 GB RAM to a total of 6 but it ran fine with just the 2GB. The refurb cost me $2399 plus shipping and then a little more for the RAM but still way under $3000.
pretty balzey to switch back?, i hope you din't forget about all the errors in the past with a pc?, unless your one of the lucky ones who scaved by without any issues. I knew nothing about Macs, but i did switch and it's bee over a year & 3 months without a single hiccup. man that is priceless to me
Old 08-01-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
pretty balzey to switch back?, i hope you din't forget about all the errors in the past with a pc?, unless your one of the lucky ones who scaved by without any issues. I knew nothing about Macs, but i did switch and it's bee over a year & 3 months without a single hiccup. man that is priceless to me
I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, sounds like you think I went from a Mac to a PC, if so, read my post again. The Mac Pro has been essentially trouble free for me.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:16 AM

me too. I have a Mac Pro Dual Quad and I love it!! I just spent 6 hours last night tracking drums and I have ZERO problems. I can do anything with my Mac Pro it's awesome!
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub