Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-09-2008, 09:56 PM

Default LE performance on Leopard vs. Tiger

There's probably some good threads on this but I can't seem to find them, so can anyone advise about whether running PT LE 7.4.2 on Leopard performs as well as 7.4 on Tiger?

The specific situation I'm concerned about is upgrading from Tiger on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Book Pro with 2 GB RAM. I can perform edits and produce nice demo mixes of small sessions with Waves IR-1 (hardware is an MBox2 Micro). But I know I'm close to the performance limit because it's not hard to get popcorn happening. If there's a performance hit upgrading to 7.4.2 and Leopard I'll have to wait until I can afford a faster laptop.

thanks,
Allan
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM

Default Re: LE performance on Leopard vs. Tiger

I have a MacBook Pro running Leopard with a 003 and Mbox2. I also have a MacPro running Tiger with the same hardware. I haven't noticed a big difference when opening the program or recording. I'm pretty sure the biggest difference would be the number of tracks and plug ins running. I wasn't aware that that the hardware you used placed limits on track numbers and plug ins as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM

Humm..OK so this is interesting. Hardware dictates track count and Plugins used? So which gives you more....a 002R or an Mbox?
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM

Firewire interfaces will give you slightly better performance over USB interfaces.

The hardware that really matter is your computer speed and RAM amount. I haven't seen any difference in performance in PTLE from Tiger to Leopard on faster machines, but on older ones that struggle to run Leopard in the first place, PTLE can also be rough going.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the responses... it sounds encouraging!
Allan
Old 12-11-2008, 11:33 PM

I will say that Leopard is a bit more CPU intensive and certainly more RAM intensive. 7.4.2 seems no more intensive than 7.4. So I would say that an educated guess would put 7.4.2 with Leopard a little harder on the system than 7.4 on Tiger mainly because Leopard is harder on resources. If you are on the verge of freaking out your system now, you might want to be cautious. Is that model maxed out with RAM? If not upgrade that if you do go to Leopard, if it is maxed at 2GB, again I would be cautious. I loaded Leopard on a G4 iBook and saw considerable difference in performance over 10.4.9. So there is no doubt Leopard is harder on resources. Food for thought.

And all this talk about track restrictions is quite confusing for onlookers...

"I'm pretty sure the biggest difference would be the number of tracks and plug ins running. I wasn't aware that that the hardware you used placed limits on track numbers and plug ins as well."

The Digi interface has no bearing on track count or plugin count, PT's limits the track count, but your computer's performance is the main thing that determines what it can handle. So the same computer using both an Mbox and a 003 will perform equally the same in regards to track count and plugin handling.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Avid

Quote:
So the same computer using both an Mbox and a 003 will perform equally the same in regards to track count and plugin handling.
Not quite.

USB has more CPU overhead for data handling than firewire, so you would likely see slightly better performance with a firewire interface over a USB one.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
If you are on the verge of freaking out your system now, you might want to be cautious. Is that model maxed out with RAM?
My MBP is an early model - Core Duo (Yonah) - and maxed out at 2 GB RAM. I guess I'll wait until I don't have a work backlog before trying Leopard in case I am forced to go back to Tiger. Or if my cash situation improves I can just get a newer MBP.

thanks,
Allan
Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM

sounds like a logical thought process. If I were you I would stay at Tiger until you can swing a new machine, IF your ultimate goal is running a stable machine for paying clients. And if that is your goal, then your next goal should be saving up for a Mac Pro. I feel like a Mac Pro evangelist today, but they do solve a lot of the issues people have that are running older machines. If a laptop is a must, you will see a noticeable difference between a current Core 2 Duo model and the Core Duo model that you have.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM

I just upgraded to Leopard on my old dual G5 and have been running some sessions that were fairly heavily-loaded on Tiger. They still run on Leopard. You will probably need to update a few 3rd party plugins.

So even though I will probably get a new machine early next year, I wanted to be sure my plugins all worked with the latest OS. It does seem like the OS is a bit more CPU and/or memory intensive, but not a lot.

My good news was that the Waves 5.9.7 seems to work ok with 7.4.2 and Leopard. It also passes the AU validation for Logic on 10.5.5.

PTLE8/002r;OS 10.6.4 2 x 2.26Ghz quadcore,6GB RAM, Waves Platinum, many other plugins...