Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2010, 01:16 PM

Unhappy Beat Detective Problem with Conform

I am using BD to edit multitrack drums. I would like to conform with less than 100% strength. In my head, it would make sense that if a snare hit (and it's trigger) are 30ms behind the beat, then setting the strength to 50% would move the hit 15 ms closer to the beat. THe snare hit would be closer to the beat, but still a shade behind it. Or if I set the strength at, say, 90%, BD would move it 27ms closer to the beat, so the hit is now just 3ms behind the beat. Of course 100% would put the hit exactly on the beat. Does this sound like how the"Strength" slider should work?

My experience with BD, however, is completely different. When set to 100%, all the hits/triggers are put EXACTLY on the beats, exactly where their "Trigger Time" labels say they will go. So far, so good. BUT, anything less than 100%, and BD starts moving things very weirdly...and it gets worse the lower percentage I use. Triggers that were behind the beat are put in front of the beat and/or vice versa.

So what gives? I only did my testing on one occasion, so I'm not sure if it will happen like this all the time. But I know that I've had similar issues in the past with BD, just haven't taken the time to test like I did this time.

Here's my workflow:
- Song tracked to click in PT
- Group drum tracks
- Consolidate so each track is just 1 region
- Trim regions to start on 1|1|000 and end on x|1|000
- Open BD
- Choose "Region Separation"
- Click "Capture Selection"
- Turn off drum group, highlight Kick region
- Click "Analyze"
- Select sensitivity, resolution, and trigger pad. Turn on "Show Trigger Time"
- Scan track to verify correct trigger times and add/remove triggers as needed
- Go to "Collection", click "Add Unique"
- Go back to "Normal" and repeat on Snare, T1, T2, etc...
- Turn group on, highlight all drum regions
- Separate.
- Conform (standard)

I check all of my trigger times and they are correct. When I conform to 100%, everything moves as it should. But anything less than 100% and triggers (usually towards the end of the song) move incorrectly, often in the wrong direction.

Any ideas anyone?