Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Using Logic Pro with LE, etc.

Hi. Has anyone used Logic Pro before? I'm specifically looking for good keyboard (piano, strings, pads) and drum library, and from what i've heard Logic is a good, relatively inexpensive source for this. Is it possible to run Logic within LE?
Obviously, pretty new to this stuff :)
Thanks!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Using Logic Pro with LE, etc.

I'm curious as well, if you can use Logic 9 with an Mbox 2 as the interface?
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 PM

bumpy bump
Old 08-08-2009, 07:59 PM

Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy35 View Post
... if you can use Logic 9 with an Mbox 2 as the interface
No problems here with Logic 8 in any cases. Mbox2 pro is not what I would call a very low latency interface but with logic's low latency mode and pluging delay compensation it's not really a problem, even when you're tracking. (Note that I overdub most of the time so I rarely record more than two tracks at the time)

Sometimes Logic AND PT LE are both opened on my iMac! -- with small projects for sure, and I switch between the two! Be prepared for some overload messages but, no crash! More, a funny thing I sometimes do is to route the Logic audio output to the internal iMac audio and PT through the Mbox2 Pro (for sure). It's obvious that for serious work it's really not a good idea to do this but this is just to demonstrate that, yes, Logic and PT run well with the MBox2 Pro. YMMV.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerarm View Post
Hi. Has anyone used Logic Pro before? I'm specifically looking for good keyboard (piano, strings, pads) and drum library, and from what i've heard Logic is a good, relatively inexpensive source for this. Is it possible to run Logic within LE?
Obviously, pretty new to this stuff :)
Thanks!
I have PT8 and Logic Studio, both run great on my Mac Pro. I use Superior Drummer 2.0 for my drum library (you can find great deals on the software on craigslist or ebay). Logic is an AWESOME way to expand your sound library quickly and (relatively) affordably. It comes with a TON of plugins, loops, samples, etc.

You cannot run Logic "within" LE. I wouldn't dare run Logic and PT at the same time, either. There's no way for the two to communicate with each other, so you're better off doing what you need to do in Logic and bouncing to disk, then bringing those bounced files to PT, etc.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 AM

Has anyone tested Logic 9 with Pro Tools LE? I saw a friend using Logic 9 last week with the new flex time and amp models included. I admit I turned a shade of green.

O-B
Old 08-13-2009, 10:32 AM

I have successfully used Logic 9 on my Mac Pro and Digi 002.
I just got it last week, so I have no clue how to do stuff, but the demo sessions loaded up no problem, plug-ins loaded no problem and routing through my 002 and mBox was easy.
I think it's about worth it just for Waveburner, best thing for mastering on the Mac I've seen, although that's not saying much.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks Jperkins. I like waveburner a lot. I think I am going to order me an upgrade of Logic 9 just to see what all this Flex Time fuss is about.

O-B
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddbod View Post
Has anyone tested Logic 9 with Pro Tools LE? I saw a friend using Logic 9 last week with the new flex time and amp models included. I admit I turned a shade of green.

O-B
Just a clarification on the terms used. Logic 9 is a complete DAW application and works on its own with various hardware including Digidesign hardware. Protools LE is also a DAW application that works on its own but only works with Digidesign hardware. When you ask if Logic 9 will work with Protools LE, that is somewhat confusing as they are two different DAW applications and do not work together at the same time. They can work on the same computer but both can not use the same interface at the same time. I just want to clarify that Logic 9 is NOT a plugin or something that is connected via rewire to run IN Protools. It runs outside of Protools and therefore they don't really work together.

I think what you meant to ask is if Logic 9 will work with a Digidesign interface, right? In that case the answer is yes as Digidesign provides the core audio driver to allow third party software to work with their interfaces like the Mbox, Mbox2Mini, Mbox2, Mbox2Micro, Mbox2Pro, Digi002/002R, Digi003/003R/003+). What Digidesign dose NOT do is let their Protools LE software to work with non Digidesign hardware (ie. Presonus Profire interfacdes, MOTU interfaces, etc.)

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 08-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Thanks Obsidian Dragon

You're very right. My question was unclear. I understand Logic is a full DAW and meant to ask if Logic 9 works well with Digi hardware or not on the same system as PT.

Thanks

O-B