Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 05-05-2020, 08:58 PM

Default MIDI Issue with external keyboards

Please help with a MIDI issue as I’m at my wits end! When using my Roland or Korg keyboard as a sound module with Pro Tools, I can record or playback. But when I RECORD I’m hearing not only the midi patch selected in ProTools, but also the patch on the keyboard at the same time!
On the Roland you have to set it in “performance” mode and you have to use Sequence mode for Korg. I want to use the keyboards as sound modules. I dont like virtual synths.

For example Rolands performance mode when I record, i’m hearing not only the MIDI patch selected in Pro Tools but also the performance patch on top of it…I’ve tried different settings to no avail, local is set to off.

How do i hear only the keyboard sounds i want from the MIDI patch selected in Pro Tools ?

Using Pro Tools HD TDM, Mac 10.5.8, Pro Tools HD 8.0.1cs1, Powermac dual G5, external 1TB G-drive.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 PM

Default Re: MIDI Issue with external keyboards

If you want to use the keyboard as your sound module, there is no “patch” in Pro Tools. You should have a midi track and an aux track, and local control on the keyboards should be turned off. The input of the midi track is the midi out from the keyboard. Likewise, the midi out from the track should be to the midi in on the keyboard. The analog out from the keyboard is then routed through the aux track for you to monitor. Record enable the midi track and you’ll only hear the output from the keyboard.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control