Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Default Mix Core, DSP Farm QE, 6.4.1 TdM on 10.3.4 - Farm not shown

I have a few quick questions but I'll start with my config:
(Sorry in advance for the ignorance..... these are the last things I think I'll need)

I have a G4 Quicksilver MDD 867 Dual with 512 MB RAM and OS 10.3.4

Pro Tools 6.4.1 TDM

Mix Core (PCI slot 1? Next to AGP)
DSP Farm QE (PCI slot 2? Next to slot 1?)
Linked with 5 Node TDM Ribbon

1622 i/o on Core
882 i/o on Farm

Digitest only shows the Mix Core.

Amber and Red LED's are lit on the Mix and I can arm all 16 channels and record fine. One Green LED is lit on the DSP.

I am aware that DSP Farm AMCC Chip revisions prior to QC will not work in a Mix System (Or in a G4), and therefore I kept my QE.

Am I in any way mistaken as to the 'Qualified' nature of my setup? I know the DSP is not DIRECTLY qualified, but thought that it worked.

My aim is to have 32 Channels I/O with my 1622, and (2) 882's - (For live recording in a Nightclub in Minneapolis.)

I thought I could run a Mix Core (On the 1622), and (2) 882's each on their own DSP or Farm (In which case I'd buy another card).

Questions:

Am I missing something? Is this set up right and should it be seeing the DSP?
(I haven't confirmed the DSP works and have no other means of testing beyond what I've done or know so far)

Does it matter which way the TDM Ribbon is on? i.e. Red lead one way or the other, etc? - it fits either way.

A Mix Core doesn't support more than 16 Channels correct? I know there's a 'Y' cable but I'm assuming it's 8 per side?

If I'm not mistaken, DSP Farms support 8 Channels?

Do Mix Farms support 16 Channels? In which case, I could 'Y' cable to each of my 882's correct?

I'm just a little confused as to not seeing the DSP and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to manually configure it somehow.

Thanx Guys and Gals!

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Mix Core, DSP Farm QE, 6.4.1 TdM on 10.3.4 - Farm not sh

Get more RAM. OSX likes RAM. I don't think it's your immediate problem, but it will be once you get this rig working. You'll want at least a Gigabyte of RAM.

The TDM Ribbon should have a little arrow on it that lines up with the corresponding connector on your card.

Try reseating the card in the PCI slot. If they aren't snapped all the way in, they won't work.
Do the little LEDs on the DSP farm light up when you boot the computer?(Boot it with the door open to verify this) I think the red LED indicates power, and the green one indicates connection to the TDM bus.(Or vice versa).

Somewhere on answerbase is listing of all correct slot numbers for various G4 models. You need to find this. Slot/card order is also very important.

Yes, mix cards will do up to 16 I/O's. A 1622 cable should have a DB60 on both ends, so you won't need a Y cable, just plug it right into the mix core. DSP farms are 8 channels, and don't entirely support some of the later interfaces like the ADAT bridge 24. You should be good to go on the hardware side with a QE farm, assuming it works okay. If everything is set up correctly on the hardware side, you might be running into a limitation of the later OS and Pro Tools version. If I remember, d24 support was dropped at Pro Tools 6.1, which might also have included the "classic" DSP farms.

I run a similar vintage rig, but don't use OSX for Pro Tools. OS9 with 5.1.3 is very stable, and most of my old plugins won't work in OSX. If you have an OS9.2 install disk and 5 bucks to buy a copy of 5.1.3 from the digistore, that's a good way to make sure it's not a limitation of the later OS and pro tools version.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Mix Core, DSP Farm QE, 6.4.1 TdM on 10.3.4 - Farm not sh

Thanx for the info John.

I'd love to talk with you more. Maybe you can shoot me your email and we can talk by phone?

[email protected]

I just got back from St Paul where I picked up another card from the same guy I got the Mix Core from.

Turns out HIS 'unqualified' DSP Farm card that's older than my QE works in my machine, while MY QE does not work.

Wierd because his AMCC chip is a Q. It isn't supposed to work, however there is another small chip SOCKET on the lower left of the AMCC that is a newer hand written revision on it, and mine is soldered on. Wierd. I don't get it. I think my QE card might be bad.

Can I pay you for the time to come throw it on yours and run Digitest? I'll bring a 882, and all necessary cables and stuff.

I'm at a loss here. Not sure if I want to go on Ebay and buy another card if the revision qualifications aren't accurate. I might end up with a card that doesnt work.

I really wanna find out if the card is bad or not.

got cards for sale?

sheeeeeeeesh. Almost there.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live: