Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2002, 09:36 AM

Default HD Sync I/O. No 1X Base Clock???

I cannot get either of two Sync I/O's to be set at base clock. If factory defaults are programmed, (supposed to be base clock) for some as yet undetermined reason, it reverts instantly to 256. Using the front panel menu interface, no option is given except 256. As a result the 192 I/O's do not lock (over range dialog appears) and they revert to internal clock. Everything appears to sync and play ok but I can hear very subtle artifacting on a 1 k tone.

If I plug Aardsync word clock (which is referenced to black) into the 192 I/O all these problems go away. The Sync I/O just hangs out there by itself, being referenced to black, appearing to do everything except provide clock to the 192's. Is this OK? Appearances can be very deceiving in Sync World.

The sync I/O has the latest firmware update for 5.3.1. Because of a SNAFU with the feet and frames ruler in 5.3.1. Digi has told me to go back to the 5.3 app. but use all the 5.3.1 extensions. I must also use the previous version of machine control software. Is this a Sync I/O issue or the weird hybrid software config? What am I missing? What's wrong with this picture? My mix+ systems worked fine. I had my cake and I got to eat it too.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:26 AM

Default Re: HD Sync I/O. No 1X Base Clock???

RBeggs...

Perhaps I can help you. I know for sure that you can NOT take the 256 output from AardSync into the Sync I/O and get the Sync I/O to lock (not sure if that's what you're trying to do). You MUST take the 1x out of the Aardsync and then the Sync I/O sends 256 out to the 192's. Does that help you?
Old 06-22-2002, 01:13 PM

Thanks, but no. Aardsync is putting out 44.1 into the sync I/O. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the 192's use a base clock of 44.1 or 48. The legacy I/O's use the 256 freq. The Sync I/O will only put out 256 despite the manuals claims to the contrary. If I'm lucky, all will be revealed Mon.am. with a call to tech support.
Old 06-22-2002, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rbeggs:
Thanks, but no. Aardsync is putting out 44.1 into the sync I/O. My understanding, which may be incorrect, is that the 192's use a base clock of 44.1 or 48. The legacy I/O's use the 256 freq. The Sync I/O will only put out 256 despite the manuals claims to the contrary. If I'm lucky, all will be revealed Mon.am. with a call to tech support.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm not understanding either...ours is set up that we take one of the 1x outputs from the AardSync into the Sync I/O (set to Digital on front panel). Then, the Sync I/O automatically sends out 256 to the interfaces. So, what's your problem? Still no lock light? I remember we had to set something using the hidden menu on the front panel (under display) to make sure we were sending out 256.

J
Old 06-22-2002, 07:01 PM

Curiouser and curiouser. My mentioning the Aardsync was perhaps confusing. I have decided to use it directly into the interface for now because the Sync I/O will not output any clock I can use. I want to reference the Sync I/O to black burst (video ref). It should, I believe, then output either 1X the session rate or 256 depending on what you have selected in the base clock menu. Unfortunately, I cannot select the session rate option . I can get it if I restore factory defaults. As soon as I attempt to mount a session it reverts to 256 and cannot be changed. I then receive this dialog informing me that the clock rate is out of range. When this dialog is closed the I/O's revert to internal sync mode. In other words, the 192 I/O will not accept the clock output of the Sync I/O when it is 256 and Sync I/O is incapable of generating anything else. It's almost beyond discussion at this point. Either I am doing something whack, I have missed something very fundamental or it just aint ready to do what I need to do. I appreciate your interest however. But maybe answer this. Do the 192 I/O's run at 1X or 256? Dumb question perhaps but I'm drugged by scrabbling through manuals.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:05 PM

The Sync I/O may not be ready for Black Burst. If you run out of the AardSync x1 output into the Sync I/O. Have the Sync I/O set for Digital input and 256 clock, are your 192's happy? Should be...

J
Old 06-22-2002, 07:22 PM

Johnnyv,

Tried that one before and did it again just now at your prompt.The result is a blinking ext. sync mode LED as before. Our posts must have crossed on the net I edited my previous entry to make it more clear. Thanks