Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Looking for software/hardware reference material suggestions

Hi all - first off, thanks to all for their posts which have been very helpful. A little background, I'm relatively new to home recording (PT LE 7.4 via MBox 2), and as I'm sure has happened to others I'm rapidly discovering that my 2-year old discount desktop is pretty darn (totally) inadequate to do the job. As I learn more about PT, plug-ins, etc., I've reached the point where my computer can't keep up (buffer errors, unresponsiveness, etc.), and I'm beginning research about getting a new system.

I'd like to learn a decent amount about computer hardware/software as it pertains to PT and audio recording (processor speed, memory timings, 32 vs. 64-bit OS, etc.), before I decide on a new system. I've figured out a number of things by reading posts in this forum, but I haven't found a list anywhere of a variety of resources to really help me learn about all of these things from start to finish (and I have searched for it, I swear).

Does anyone have any favorite web resources (or print, I could go pick something up) that covers some of these basic issues for newbies? I've found some general "basics of personal computer hardware" sites which have helped, but these often are pretty general and aren't geared toward the home studio audience (which is what I'm really looking for).

Thanks much,
Old 04-16-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Looking for software/hardware reference material suggestions

No bites yet, and I found a decent one in the search so I figured I'd add it for anyone else looking. Some pretty darn decent articles on all hardware-related subjects:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/