Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Default mixer output too hot for mbox : (

i'm just hoping someone can confirm if i'm on the right track here?
just came from a live show where i tried to record a stereo mix out of the board into my mbox 2.... though, i knew from the very beginning the levels were clipping almost constantly : (
first mistake - no time for sound check. the house engineer handed me 2 xlr cables 'heres the right, heres the left'... which i put into the mbox2's mic inputs. i THINK that the output of the board was too high for the mic inputs, even though the pre's were all the way down with pads on both input.
so... i guess my question is .. how do i avoid this? would the solution be to use 1/4" trs as a line input? ..but what if it's too hot there, as well? are there different outputs of the board i should be looking at?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 AM

Default Re: mixer output too hot for mbox : (

You have answered your own question really.....
Yes... Line level out of the console into line level in on your MBox2 (TRS inputs).
Mic pres are expecting a very low voltage and you were giving it more than it could handle.
Mic pre's are for microphones, they boost mic level up to line level.
If the console delivers line level (with head room) and you plug this into your line inputs, there will be no clipping.
hope this helps
dogon
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 AM

The key to remember here is; XLR cables are used for both mic signals AND line signals in pro audio. You can avoid this next time by always carrying a pair of XLR-F to TRS cables so if you get handed the same as this time, you can pop in your adapter cables and be good to go. The XLR inputs on the Mbox are mic level only and the TRS inputs are suitable for line level.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 PM

you guys rock, thanks!