Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM

Default 003R MIDI stopped working

My post here looks similar to a post by jakob Sept. '14, but I think it's different enough to bring up in this new context, in case anyone can detect what I may have done wrong, and can offer a fix.

MIDI notes appear to reach 003R from controller keyboard (MIDI In light lights up), but no MIDI notes are 'seen' by Pro Tools, and MIDI Out on the 003R isn't working any more. Worked fine yesterday. Shut down last night, and when powered up today, no MIDI.

Only change I made the day before this failure is at one point I disconnected the MIDI out cable from my controller keyboard and connected it to another keyboard to use as controller for a while, then reconnected back to the original controller keyboard MIDI out. Did this while the 003R and the keyboards and Pro Tools were all powered up. I seem to recall from years ago that maybe disconnecting MIDI cables while powered up could cause MIDI setup and config problems, but am not sure.

More detail ---
MIDI In light on the 003R lights up when notes are played on controller keyboard.
But MIDI Out light no longer lights up.
MIDI notes/events are no longer recorded to Pro Tools record enabled MIDI track.
External synths connected to 003R MIDI Out port no longer respond to controller keyboard.
MIDI controller and other connected synths are no longer included in the MIDI Track Channel Strip Input and Output drop down list.
Like jakob's previous post, leading up to this, there were a few instances of stuck notes.
In the Audio MIDI > MIDI Studio setup that I've used for years with no problem, suddenly the Digi003 device is grayed out.
Tried creating a new MIDI Studio configuration, but 003 is no longer listed as an option to select.
All MIDI connections and cables have been checked and are good.

Anyway, apologies for the long post. Open to any ideas to try out to re-establish working MIDI for the 003R.

Thanks.

OS X 10.8.2
Pro Tools 10.3.2
003Rack
Mac Mini 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
8 GB memory
Old 03-09-2015, 03:45 PM

Default Re: 003R MIDI stopped working

Issue resolved, thanks to a 2008 article from Sound On Sound: "Audio MIDI Setup."
003R had lost contact with Mac MIDI.
Disconnected 003R from computer.
Started up computer.
Reconnected 003R to computer.
Restarted computer.
MIDI connected and configuration fully restored.