Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2009, 09:24 AM

Default PT8: edit inside region groups / ghost copy the same

Hello, I have been testing out pro tools 8, and really liking what i see so far. it feels like a very big step forward for digidesign...

but there are some things that i would like to know about it:

Is there any possibility to edit the contents of a "region group" without breaking it apart? Something like the new MIDI editor, when you double click it you see the contents...
And if this would be possible, would it also be possible to make ghost copies of a region group? That is, when you edit the group, the same edit happens wherever the ghost copies are.

If you notice, these are functions that are avaliable in Steinberg Cubase / Nuendo. The reason i want to be able to do this is that I make sample-based music, and would like to be able to move some of the things out from the software sampler that i currently use, and work with them directly in the DAW.
If these functions would be avaliable, Pro Tools would be on all levels the ultimate program for music making for me, now with all the new MIDI functionality of version 8.

thank you
/oscar, sweden.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Default Re: PT8: edit inside region groups / ghost copy the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonografist View Post
Is there any possibility to edit the contents of a "region group" without breaking it apart? Something like the new MIDI editor, when you double click it you see the contents...
And if this would be possible, would it also be possible to make ghost copies of a region group? That is, when you edit the group, the same edit happens wherever the ghost copies are.
How could you call it editing if you don't break it apart? Instead of 'break apart' did you mean 'ungroup'? If that's the case, then the only way to edit what's within the group is to ungroup the group. But you could always edit the group instead. There is no way to make a ghost copy (mirrored I believe is the correct term) of audio. This is a feature limited to midi.

-Justin
Old 01-08-2009, 04:03 PM

What i meant with editing without breaking it apart is to be able to edit inside the group, to "open up" the contents of it in a different window, just like with a midi region. Like you can in cubase / nuendo...

If there where a mirror-copy feature for audio this would of course make a bit more sense...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Is there any possibility to edit the contents of a "region group" without breaking it apart?
Quote:
And if this would be possible, would it also be possible to make ghost copies of a region group?
'Group', 'Ungroup' then 'Regroup' thus keeping the Group Selection.

However, you might like to look up 'Region Loops and Groups' in your Pro Tools 8 Reference Guide.

Region Loops (source and iterations) depending on the edit ghosts or mirrors.

filosofem