Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 02-15-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Re: Dock fader sucks!

...offer three parameters... sorry...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the tip...still diving in. But it is a real drag the 8 controller knobs lacks a real linear feel e.g. like a D-Command/Command 8/Control 24. I don't remember the Artist series controller knobs feeling that way? They were just tiny for my sausage fingers
Old 04-10-2018, 04:35 AM

I'm just trying the Dock Control leaving the Artist Series and Icon behind and my biggest problem is the same with the loud mechanically sound from the fader when reading the automation. Have you fixed yours ? I dont know if this could worth it.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ets View Post
I'm just trying the Dock Control leaving the Artist Series and Icon behind and my biggest problem is the same with the loud mechanically sound from the fader when reading the automation. Have you fixed yours ? I dont know if this could worth it.
I don't have any issues with the dock fader being noisy.. It's exactly the same as the S3 fader, which is much better than the Artist Mix fader.

Can you shoot a video?
Old 04-10-2018, 01:25 PM

Sure. I just shoot with my cellphone on this. Is this the normal noise you get as well ? https://youtu.be/Htsu5be4bjY
Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Sure. I just shoot with my cellphone on this. Is this the normal noise you get as well ? https://youtu.be/Htsu5be4bjY
It's hard to say from a video but that seems to be much louder than my faders (on an S3). When my faders are moving smoothly it's really very quiet, with a bit of a click sound when the direction of travel changes. I think you might have a problem with that fader.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM

When the movements should be smoothly is when it sounds louder. Yes, I think this could be a problem.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
ah, I think you might have a bum motor.. It shouldn't grind like that. It should be nice and smooth. Is the unit new? can you have it replaced?
Old 01-10-2023, 04:02 AM

absolutely, I've found dock fader really noisy and it looks like is its normal behaviour. Very much louder than S3 faders indeed (which are much louder than beautiful Pro Control digifaders). Build quality goes worst with time, It's a fact and probably these machines are considered low-end units. Avid says their are the same faders, so I'm gonna a try and exchange for one of those.
cheers
Old 01-11-2023, 09:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mave911 View Post
absolutely, I've found dock fader really noisy and it looks like is its normal behaviour. Very much louder than S3 faders indeed (which are much louder than beautiful Pro Control digifaders). Build quality goes worst with time, It's a fact and probably these machines are considered low-end units. Avid says their are the same faders, so I'm gonna a try and exchange for one of those.
cheers
The S3 faders are the same as the Dock. Dirt can cause these issues. The faders are standard Alps that have been used is many consoles for many years. As with all moving part hardware, there can be bad ones and they can get damaged over time. Pro Control was a much more expensive unit....and in todays money over $30k compared to a $1k Dock or $5k S3 with twice as many faders!