How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Default Latency when bussing audio track and aux to another aux

Hey guys,

a few months ago i suddenly recognized a problem when doing parallel compression.
I tested it with a new Session:

One audio Track with for example a snare and a send to Aux 1 with input Bus 1 and output Bus 2. Another aux with input Bus 2 and output to main outs. The audio track with the snare is also routed to Aux 2.

Sometimes i get a latency. The Audio Track is no compensated. Sometimes i can change the output of the audio track to mainouts and back, and it works. And sometimes i also get latency with the same constelation but the audio track is routed to mainouts, but Aux 1 is still routed to Aux 2 and that one to main outs. I also found out that this happens just with some Busses. Not all are infected.

When i did the "Trick" with routing the audio track to the main outs an back, suddenly the delay compensation shows a value. So when the snare flams and has latency there is no value in the delay-display in the Mix-Window. But when routing to main and back it suddenly shows a value and the latency is gone.

The latency is also affected by the buffer, wich i think is normal but maybe worth to mention.

Has anybody had this problem, too? Any suggestions besides format C:
I need parallel Compression

Same problem on Pro Tools 10.3.5, 10.3.9 and 11.2.1, all on Windows 7 Pc with a Presonus Firestudio Project.

Any help welcome, please.

greets Domi
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Latency when bussing audio track and aux to another aux

Am I reading correctly that you are sending thru 2 AUX buses? With delay compensation enabled, it SHOULD be compensated for, but I think the double-bus path is where it falls apart(I remember reading similar before). I think you may be over-thinking your routing as I would not find a need to go thru more than 1 bus. Speaking of drums, all my drum tracks feed the main output. Then, I add an AUX send to a stereo bus to feed a stereo AUX track with a compressor plugin. I blend that with the direct drums to add beef to the overall kit(but it only requires a single bus) and I never have a latency or timing issue this way. I advise sticking with single-bus routing. If you think this doesn't allow you something, explain what you need as someone may have a better idea

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Thx for the replay.

The thing with the two busses is simple. Actually all my drum audio tracks go to one sub group called Drums. Which of course is an aux. So i can change the volume of the whole kit. And when i do parallel compression of just the snare or kick i have to go through two busses.

This is not an unusual setting and i know it has to work, cause it did work 'till a while ago. And it does work sometimes. As is said it occurse just with some busses.

I think there is a bug with the delay compensation or the internal routing or something.

Can't say
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Hey Guys,

I did another test and found out that this latency just occurs within a stereo Bus. Wich means if use Bus 1 and 2 i get a latency. But when i use bus 2 and 3 every thing is fine. Also when i use bus 1 and 3.

Has that something to do with the stereo busses, that they cannot be compensated independently?

Is there a setting to change this?