Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM

Default Re: System with Magma-correct start routine?

Phil,

Time clock, Sync, midi and ethernet controllers first. Magma, interfaces and then computer here. Never failed I like all devices to see time clock on booting.

M
System#1
PT 10HD Harpertown Lion
HD4 Accel Magma PE6R4-I
Motu PCI-424e
ProControl 32 Faders

System#2
PT 11 and 10.3.6 2012 Westmere Mountain Lion
HDX
MC Mix - MC Control - MC transport - MC Mix with Command 8
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Default Re: System with Magma-correct start routine?

+1 on turning on External Clock (if you use one), Hardware (eg. 192 i/o), then Magma Chassis, then drives. Mac is last (not counting your studio monitors)

Side Note OT - What are your opinions on using Power Strips and/or Surge Protectors (NOT UPS' but the typical Furman rackmount ' power conditioner') to turn your gear on and off? As opposed to just using them as a master ON/OFF of electric flow, then turning on each item independently?

Im generally uneasy about leaving devices in the ON position, and using the Furman to actually give them power or shut them down - ESP my 6+ External FW drives. (Nearly all the FW drives have a different type of power supply that came with them; some wall-warts, some with a brick in the middle, some direct 3-pronged AC cable)

As my gear list grows, its becoming more of a pain to turn on my two Furman " Mains " first, then individually turn on most everything else.

What do you let ONE switch power-up for you and what do you power-up individually afterwards?

My routine specifically is:

Turn on 2 Main Switches on the Furmans which turn on some outboard analog gear. Nothing older than 1985 - Small mixer, SPL Monitor Box, , dbx 160xt etc. Also a 24" LCD, 192 I/O, MIDI I/O, MIDI gear, a lamp or two, and my Digital Master Clock.

Then I individually power on the " high end " gear such as Avalon, Distressors, Fatso, Altec, BAE pres, the Power Amp for nearfields, Magma Chassis, Each Ext FW HD, Powered Speakers, and lastly the Mac Pro.

Im wondering if Im being too precautious? Especially with the FW Drives? Id love to open up the Main Power, then flip one switch on a Strip for all my Drives. And maybe add the newer tube gear

Thanks in advance and sorry for the slight thread hijack :)
-MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•