Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 12-03-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Re: New Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmccoy View Post
Is there therapy for that?
The only therapy i have found so far.... is to be really broke, or have a wife!

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
From my understanding if you switch from perpetual to a subscription you loose the perpetual license and from then on you have to pay for subscription. To get back in you would have to buy a whole new perpetual license at full price. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong.
Well that is just highway robbery if thats true. I get going forward a subscription means a subscription but folks who have paid for the perpetual plans should not loose their old licenses if they go to subscription, they should keep whatever the final versions they have and all the old ones as well up to switching.

But if that is true I guess the work around would be not to crossgrade / switch and let your support plan just end so you still have all your perp licenses on an ilok, then open a new account under a new user name with a new ilok and start a subscription plan.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 12-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Avid do not deserve Pro Tools.
lots of plugins
Old 12-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Well that is just highway robbery if thats true. I get going forward a subscription means a subscription but folks who have paid for the perpetual plans should not loose their old licenses if they go to subscription, they should keep whatever the final versions they have and all the old ones as well up to switching.

But if that is true I guess the work around would be not to crossgrade / switch and let your support plan just end so you still have all your perp licenses on an ilok, then open a new account under a new user name with a new ilok and start a subscription plan.
You only lose the perpetual license if you do a crossgrade from the perpetual license to the subscription license. In return, you get 2 years of 50% off the subscription.

Yes, the crossgrade is still a complete con. However, you can keep your perpetual license and grab a subscription simply by not crossgrading, you don't need any fancy workarounds.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:

I can have two different licenses for two different paths. I can keep the perpetual version and simply buy a new subscription license for another copy of the software. Many with multiple computers have multiple licenses for multiple copies, versions etc.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
You only lose the perpetual license if you do a crossgrade from the perpetual license to the subscription license. In return, you get 2 years of 50% off the subscription.

Yes, the crossgrade is still a complete con. However, you can keep your perpetual license and grab a subscription simply by not crossgrading, you don't need any fancy workarounds.
Ok I get it thanks, crossgrade = con... check! Don't crossgrade keep perpetuals...check! These things are never very clear at first with Avid's continual convoluted pricing methods, I can see them in the board room now "Lets confuse the customers as much as possible in the hopes they will all go for the crossgrade option to save a few bucks, then we will wipe them clean of all their paid years of perpetual licenses hahahahahHAAAh!"
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 12-05-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Ok I get it thanks, crossgrade = con... check! Don't crossgrade keep perpetuals...check! These things are never very clear at first with Avid's continual convoluted pricing methods, I can see them in the board room now "Lets confuse the customers as much as possible in the hopes they will all go for the crossgrade option to save a few bucks, then we will wipe them clean of all their paid years of perpetual licenses hahahahahHAAAh!"
Yes it's utterly bizzare
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM

2019 Greediest Company Award goes to A V I D !
Congratulations!!
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Purchased this for my Pro Tools Vanilla perpetual license. I'll let it expire this December and have it go as long as it possibly can (years down the road) before I will use it. At least that seems to be the best way forward at the moment.

Kinda leaning this way myself...

Sparky
Old 12-08-2019, 01:05 AM

Well I don't know whether to laugh or cry.. I bought 5 reinstatements and when i register them will be good to December 2024..
I just hope Avid are around that long!

I couldn't help myself at the 95$ price and no matter how angry I am right now at the state of PT (30% performance loss using VI's in 2019 vs 12/2018) and basically no updates the last few years.. I keep going back to it..

I doubt I would ever succumb t paying $220 USD for just one year so...if it's not where I want it to be in 5 years and they haven't got more attractive renewal options, I guess I'll re evaluate then.

Everyone in this topic is correct to complain about the new pricing..

Let's be honest here.. If PT had suddenly come in line feature wise with other DAWs and had graphical pitch control, better elastic audio, folders well implemented, and the other things we ask for like more than 32 inputs for core audio and so on.. this topic might have still been started, but I reckon a large percentage of us would have been OK with it.. Personally I would have said, "not happy about this increase, but so happy where Avid have taken PT that I'll happily pay it to do my part to keep them in business and drive along further updates like these".

I think the main reason most of us are annoyed is what we are getting for the money..

As I said before, i am certain avid are trying to nuke perpetual licenses, so buying these 5 years support from thomman, keeps me going with my perpetual. Either that or they desperately need the cash and just hedging their bets that everyone will pay the increased prices.

That said, for a brand new never used PT in their lives before, the sub is pretty appealing and competitively priced with the likes of adobe audition sub, etc.. and PT is much better software than that..
If i was new to PT I'd probably go sub myself for the 2 years at 79$ they had, then I think it was 25$ a month or something after that or 299 a year?

All I can do is continue to have some (thus far unfounded) faith in Avid, continue to send them bug reports and feature requests as often as I can, and just hope one day they improve the software for all of us.. I encourage anyone else with a support plan or sub to do the same..

I have been on Apple's case about the Logic automation bug for over a decade and I will never give up.. Just have to be as persistent as we can when time allows. I made my decision, and it is what is for now, for me at least...

Anyone with a vanilla perpetual I do recommend thomann before they sell out.

I don't know if they also have a good deal for ultimate users...

I would like some of the audio features in Ultimate myself, but that's where I draw the line.. You see.. Nuendo is the same price, sure (well nuendo is cheaper) but there is no mandatory ridiculous yearly cost.. so.. if i could splurge once for ultimate then just pay the vanilla support price, I would have done that ages ago.. Why does it even make sense to charge ultimate users more for support anyway? Why would they have more issues than vanilla users? Aren't vanilla users the majority of the user base overall?
That one confuses me.

Peace.