Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Default Recording Plug-Ins

Hi Everyone:

Although I am still very much a neophyte regarding Pro Tools, I have had some very good results. I am using ProTools 8 with an IMac.

Perhaps I should be embarrassed for not having been able to figure this out, so consider me very much embarrassed. Here’s my question.

When using plug-ins such as”Strike,” “Boom,” “DB 33,” or “Mini Grand Piano,” etc., I am unable to record them. I am using an instrument track for the plug-ins. When looking in the edit window, there’s no visible information, either in the MIDI form or the audio wave form. In addition, I always have to manually start and stop the plug-in. I am able to insert these plug-ins during “bouncing to disc” but that’s it. What I would like is to actually record them and have them included as part of my multi track recording.

As I seem to be very “Pro Tools Challenged,” I would really be grateful if you could keep the instructions in the simplest terms possible.

Many thanks and I hope that I have not dragged the forum down by getting so basic asking things that most of you learned long ago and can do in your sleep.

Alan
Old 09-21-2009, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Recording Plug-Ins

Hey, Alan --
To get MIDI onto a track, you use a MIDI controller (usually keyboard-style, to record it in real time) or the pencil tool (to drop in the notes manually). Either way, you can freely move around the notes (or delete them, lengthen/shorten them, transpose 'em, etc.) after you've laid 'em down. It's a very flexible and "tweakable" way to make music.
Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 09-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Ok, but then if I setup a drum machine, have it link it's time to a click track, then hit the key on my controller to start it, why doesn't it record?

Thanks,

Alan
Old 09-22-2009, 01:32 AM

Hi Alan – Don’t be afraid to ask questions… that’s what the forum is for (although the manual helps too!). I’m fairly new to PT too (been self taught for just over a year now). I was in the same boat as you about this problem until a few months back.

Let's say you want to record you Boom track to audio (this goes for any virtual instrument plug-in)

1. Set up a stereo instr track
2. Insert boom
3. Program Boom however you want (… rather than go into detail here, you really should check out the Digi videos for Boom. In about 10 mins of video, Phil shows you everything you need to know about programming Boom).
4. When you're happy with it (your Boom track will have a sequence of midi notes based on how you programmed your drum track), then you'll want to record (or "print") that Boom midi file to audio
5. Set up a stereo audio track. You're going to record Boom to this track.
6. On your Boom track, send it to an available buss (say Buss 3-4)
7. On your stereo audio track, set up Buss 3-4 as your input
8. Record enable your audio track
9. Press play... you should now see Boom start to record across to the audio track
10. When this is done you can hide/dele/deactivate you original Boom track (to save on track count & CPU power)

I've only begun to realise how impoortant it is to print to audio as soon as you're happy with you plug-in/VI track... unless you do that, you're over stressing the CPU (because you're running multiple VIs at the same time). I also it found it forces me to make decisions soomer in the process... when you keep all of your options open, decisions keep getting put off (for me anyway!).

Also, you can do this with a number of tracks at once. Typically, I might have a couple of instances of Boom & 2 or 3 other VIs to make up my percussion/rhythm tracks. Once I'm happy with the overall percussion mix, I print them to individual audio files. Just repeat the above steps for each set of tracks. You can "print" them all at once.

Pretty soon, I'm planning to dispense with the individul audio tracks for percussion & just bounce the 4 or 5 tracks to one audio file. Again, it forces me to get off the fence soooer & will hopefully help speed up my workflow. I can always go back & tweak of something doesn't sound right in the final mix.

Hardware
21.5" iMac 2.5GHz i5 24Gb (mid 2011), 003 rack, Roland TD12KV, Command8, Axiom 61,
Maxtor OneTouch4 FW/750Gb/16Mb/7200rpm (audio/session drive)
WD 1TB MyBook Studio (backup)

Software
OSX 10.13.6,
PT2018.12.0
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Thanks "concerttom" and "ZV Yoda." "ZV Yoda," that was exactly what I was looking for. Very clear, precise, orderly, and straight forward information. It works like a charm.

Perhaps you should consider writing a very simple, "how to get all the basic stuff done" book. I'll be your first customer.

Many thanks again, what a great forum.

Alan
Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM

http://ptnewbie.com/

Try this site. It should help.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zv yoda View Post
I've only begun to realise how impoortant it is to print to audio as soon as you're happy with you plug-in/VI track... unless you do that, you're over stressing the CPU (because you're running multiple VIs at the same time). I also it found it forces me to make decisions soomer in the process... when you keep all of your options open, decisions keep getting put off (for me anyway!).
ZV, good point about printing VI's. I just can't seem to commit early enough. It's always handy to be able to tweak the old EZ Drummer etc when you feel like it. I've printed before then re-activated the instrument track to re-print when I've changed my mind. Bloody perfectionists eh...
Sorry for the OT post guys.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks "concerttom" and "ZV Yoda." "ZV Yoda," that was exactly what I was looking for. Very clear, precise, orderly, and straight forward information. It works like a charm.

Perhaps you should consider writing a very simple, "how to get all the basic stuff done" book. I'll be your first customer.

Many thanks again, what a great forum.

Alan
Thanks for the kind words Alan, but I'm just a relative a newbie to PTLE... a newbie learned the hard way with the "VI to audio" thing.

As for writing a book - I wish! I couldn't even fill a beer mat with what I know about this stuff. I'm just a home enthusiast drummer / guitarist / songwriter muddling my way through the PT maze like a lot of other people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan2150 View Post
http://ptnewbie.com/

Try this site. It should help.
That's a great site for newbies... I'll def be trying some of those tips...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt View Post
ZV, good point about printing VI's. I just can't seem to commit early enough. It's always handy to be able to tweak the old EZ Drummer etc when you feel like it. I've printed before then re-activated the instrument track to re-print when I've changed my mind. Bloody perfectionists eh...
Sorry for the OT post guys.
I'm in the same boat as you... but I've realised that I keep all my options open - but then never make any decisions. Mixes are never finished (just abandonded!). It's good to have choices, but too many choices & I just end up going round in circles.

My new approach will be to get the midi/VI/loop sounding how I want it - then print to audio. After that, I'm hiding/deactivating the midi track & won't touch it again unless there's a serious problem at final mixdown.

Well, that's my plan anyway!...

Hardware
21.5" iMac 2.5GHz i5 24Gb (mid 2011), 003 rack, Roland TD12KV, Command8, Axiom 61,

Software
OSX 10.13.6,
PT2018.12.0
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
My new approach will be to get the midi/VI/loop sounding how I want it - then print to audio. After that, I'm hiding/deactivating the midi track & won't touch it again unless there's a serious problem at final mixdown.

Well, that's my plan anyway!...
Sounds like great advice, zv! I'll be trying that discipline myself, since I seem to be heading down the road of over-tweaking tracks at great length while juggling CPU-limit issues that presumable would go away if I'd commit to printing to audio already & throttle off the plug-ins.

Quote:
I'm just a home enthusiast drummer / guitarist / songwriter muddling my way through the PT maze like a lot of other people!
My profile to a "T"! Here's lifting a Guinness to all the PT-muddling enthusiast drummer/guitarists/songwriters out there!

-------------------------------------------

'Wave of the future, Dude. One hundred percent electronic.' -- J. Treehorn
Old 09-23-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerttom View Post
S
My profile to a "T"! Here's lifting a Guinness to all the PT-muddling enthusiast drummer/guitarists/songwriters out there!
Cheers indeed... although when it comes to getting a decent drum sound in a home studio, that's a world of pain.

Maybe we can trade tips, but that's a thread for another day!

Hardware

Software
OSX 10.13.6,
PT2018.12.0