Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Like others... I was having this issue on Win8.

Following the instructions with installing with capability mode (win7) and now PT10 works fine now.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I followed all the steps for this and have Pro Tools 10.3.2 installed with the drivers but after loading, it freezes at "DAE Loaded" and a pop says "Unable to locate hardware" but the ilok is plugged in and so is my USB interface (Mbox 3). Can someone help me out?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzmizzle View Post
I followed all the steps for this and have Pro Tools 10.3.2 installed with the drivers but after loading, it freezes at "DAE Loaded" and a pop says "Unable to locate hardware" but the ilok is plugged in and so is my USB interface (Mbox 3). Can someone help me out?
driver or USB issue. I would reinstall drivers and swap USB cables and or port.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-27-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Pro Tools is not a consumer application.

"Qualified" means that one can safely install a particular combination of hardware, OS and Pro Tools version into the most demanding professional post production and music recording environments. The folks who bill $500+ an hour simply can't afford running across obscure bugs.

Avid has an extensive qualification process that everything must pass before a given combination is considered officially "qualified." Obviously even with all this some problems slip through so many facilities hang a year behind in both OS and Pro Tools versions. They and Avid can't afford being on the bleeding edge.
Of course it's a consumer application, it's publicly available for purchase, but that's not really the point I'm making. The guys you're talking about are a relatively small group in comparison to the rest of the Pro Tools market.

My point is, the sentence that I quoted should read: "Pro Tools is NOT updated to run on Windows 8", not the other way around. Writing it the other way around almost makes it seem that Windows 8 is too inferior to run Pro Tools. I'm not "windows fan-boy" or anything, but the hierarchy of software for computer control dictates that applications are adjusted to work under the rules of the Operating System. It's up to Avid to update, not Microsoft, which is what a lot of people around here seem to be implying... Maybe I'm wrong.

Jesus, if Microsoft wrote Windows to better suit Pro Tools, we'd still be back in the 1990's with 32-bit software

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 11-27-2012, 08:04 AM

My point is that you misunderstand the term "qualified" as used in a corporate professional studio environment. Over the past two decades most of my Pro Tools systems have in fact never been "qualified" and they've worked just fine.

You can be sure Avid is working on making Pro Tools 10 both install and run seamlessly on windoze 8 as soon as possible. "Qualification" will probably come much later if the past means anything.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
"Qualification" will probably come much later if the past means anything.
Yup six 2 8 months qualification time but you have to imagine avid has there plate full qualifying windows and Mountain lion

Then writing code for PT 11

Porting all the VI's to a AAX

Maybe one day looking at some compatibility for SSD on the recording drive

Busy as bees over there man I tell you
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:35 AM

I think SSD is now qualified.

HD and CPTK will record on a USB key or over Wi-Fi!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM

I got past the memory error by reinstalling the latest driver package from Avid 9.02.XX (cant remember exact version) and got a new error no-one has mentioned. The error reads:

"The software requires installation of device driver TPkd and a reboot before running. Please reboot or reinstall the software."

Then after clicking ok I get:

"Unable to locate hardware. Make sure hardware is connected and . . "

If I then re-install the ilok drivers which is the source of TPkd I'm right back at the diskcache error.

It is really screwed up when the idiot security device is what stands between me and the successful launch of a very expensive and critical program.

Last edited by ziphler; 12-08-2012 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add specs Host Name : Homeboy
Old 12-09-2012, 11:21 AM

OK PROBLEM SOLVED. I just had to learn how to follow these threads better. Running the setup in the protools installer folder in win 7 compatability worked. I'm embarrassed that I didn't try this a week ago.

I too have wanted to make this work with windows 8 before its time and have always accepted that I get what I ask for so shouldn't haved griped about the ilok driver holding me up in this circumstance. HOWEVER I reserve the right to bitch about the required existence of the ilok in the 1st place. The very presence of the 003 hardware should proof enough for protools. Sure it might be stolen but that would be the exception not the rule and anyone who steals a 003 and knows what to do with it will steal the ilok too.

As far as I'm concerned the hero here is Microsoft (sorry apple freaks, I've been a Microsoft whore since 1987) who, since win 2000, have been committed to backwards compatibility (all the way back to early dos programs) and have refined that ability ever since. All the problems with protools and win 8 are solved by hiding win 8 from protools and the OS does have that ability more comprehensively than ever.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM

A lot of these problems could be solved if u use the right msi installer forom the beging in compat mode for win 7