Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Default Is it really $599/yr?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge here.

I'm currently using PT 11 HD. I used to be a Pro Tools 9/10 + CPTK owner who took advantage of Avid's offering for owners like me to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD software-only option. I realize most folks using Pro Tools HD have it because they bought HD/HDX hardware. After looking at the Avid store, it looks like I would have to pay $599/yr to remain an eligible HD software owner who can upgrade v12 and higher in the future. $599/yr for a software-only product? Really?

It doesn't seem logical that those of us who legitimately upgraded from PT CPTK to PT HD as a software-only product must pay the same level of support/maintenance and upgrade eligibility as HD/HDX owners.

Someone please tell me I'm mis-understanding something.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Is it really $599/yr?

You are correct. $599 for HD users and $199 for Native users. Each year. Or let the plan lapse and you have to buy a new plan at full retail or go on subscription.

You do get support via email or one actual phone call per year.

Seems some users don't like the plan, considering the comments here on the DUC.

Here is the FAQ:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...FAQ&popup=true
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM

I think it is one support call per month, not per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
You are correct. $599 for HD users and $199 for Native users. Each year. Or let the plan lapse and you have to buy a new plan at full retail or go on subscription.

You do get support via email or one actual phone call per year.

Seems some users don't like the plan, considering the comments here on the DUC.

Here is the FAQ:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...FAQ&popup=true
Old 02-16-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Yes. One call per month. Unlimited email. Sorry for the typo.
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Avid

Post Re: Is it really $599/yr?

Quote:
...You do get support via email or one actual phone call per year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Quote:
Yes. One call per month. Unlimited email. Sorry for the typo.
1 call/month is with Standard (Pro Tools). Phone support is unlimited with ExpertPlus (Pro Tools HD). Please see the details in the "What's included..." section of avid.com/products/pro-tools-software/licensing which should clarify this.

Thanks,
JC
Old 02-17-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
1 call/month is with Standard (Pro Tools). Phone support is unlimited with ExpertPlus (Pro Tools HD). Please see the details in the "What's included..." section of avid.com/products/pro-tools-software/licensing which should clarify this.

Thanks,
JC
Well, maybe since it's unlimited, I can call unlimited, i.e. every time it happens (2 to 3 times daily) to get my -9171 and -9172 errors (bugs), fixed? Do you think I'll be able to get through on a timely basis?
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:34 PM

I will just post my thought and hope. I think a lot of people have brought up great questions that are real and don't seem to be getting any answers.

I hope that the distinction between Pro support and regular support is not by the "HD" label. Software is software.

I can see the post studio I work at needing Pro support as insurance against down time and we would gladly pay $600 per year per unit for that benefit. We can pay that bill by running one room for 6 hours and we are all good.

I purchased an HD Native rig for my home. It's a machine I use to record singer songwriter work and also the occasional revise if something goes wrong after I leave the studio. It's basically a non billing machine. I need support but not like the studio I work for. I personally would pay $200 per year to keep the rig current but getting up to $600 for a machine that doesn't bill will hurt. Not to mention my wife will question my judgement even more.

I hope we start to see a more defined and clear path for all of us and I hope somehow Pro support is a choice not determined by "HD" or "Non HD".

Good luck to you all,

Scott
Old 02-15-2015, 01:18 PM

HD licensing has not been announced yet
Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
HD licensing has not been announced yet
You mean HD licensing AFTER the first year...because supposedly you get 12 months of support with your purchase of the HD hardware/software combo package.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-15-2015, 03:38 PM

From the FAQ:

Buy a Pro Tools 11 Upgrade/Crossgrade with Standard Avid Support for $199—that’s up to 60% off previous upgrade pricing - Upgrade from Pro Tools M-Powered/MP, Pro Tools Express (bundled with Avid hardware), or Pro Tools 9 or 10

Buy a Pro Tools | HD 11 Upgrade with ExpertPlus Support for $599—that’s up to 40% off previous upgrade pricing - Upgrade from Pro Tools HD 9 or HD 10 or Pro Tools with Complete Production Toolkit

Buy an annual upgrade and support plan for Pro Tools or Pro Tools | HD (if you already have version 11)—coming soon

See the current Pro Tools software options on the Avid Store