Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2001, 03:05 PM

Default Help! Newbie losing his mind!

Hi guys...I've been trying to get my new digi001 system going for a week now and it ain't working out. I've done everything the manual says and I've read this conference over and over. But I keep getting this same error message when I launch LE!
"DAE was unable to communicate with the audio hardware. Please save your session and restart your computer.(-6004)

What does this mean?!

I'm on a Athlon 1.4
Asus A7A266
2x 60GB Maxtor HDD
Millennium g450
Digi001
Sounblaster Live! value
Sony DVDROM
Yamaha CDR
Windows ME

Digi PCI card is in slot 3 (IRQ 9)
SB Live! value (IRQ 5)
USB disabled

What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-20-2001, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Help! Newbie losing his mind!

Disable your soundblaster.
Old 08-21-2001, 09:33 AM

I agree with the above. I would actually take the sound blaster completely out and delete the drivers. Then delete and re-install the windows drivers for 001.

Once you are sure that the DAE (Digidesign Audio Engine) comes up and PT is working, THEN try to re-install the sound blaster.

The most important thing to remember is to install and completely test one piece of hardware at a time. That way if things begin to get screwed up you will know EXACTLY what did the screwing up!

Eric Heil
The Loft Recording Studios
Lawrenceville, GA [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 08-21-2001, 09:42 AM

Hey!

Also do a check in the DUC for Sound Blaster issues. At one point Digdesign told everyone to NEVER put a second sound card in with 001 (Digi 001 IS a sound card!)

Personally, I don't see the point in having a second sound card except to sample sounds or use the primitive MIDI GM sounds and/or sequencer. The only other thing that a "regular sound card can do that 001 can't is play CD's through the CD Plyer window but... If you have Media Player installed, you can play them through that and it pops up just like the CD Player window.

Last thing, try setting windows sounds to no sound.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds>No Sounds

Eric [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Eric Heil
Angelic Productions, LLC
More Pro Tools rigs than I can shake a stick at...
www.AngelicLive.com
FaceBook Me!
Old 08-21-2001, 09:44 AM

Hi,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chimo:
Hi guys...I've been trying to get my new digi001 system going for a week now and it ain't working out. I'm on a Athlon 1.4<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is your problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chimo:
Asus A7A266
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Return it and buy Asus A7M266 which uses the same RAM so you do not have to return anything else. When you get the new MOBO post here so I can give you further advice about setup.

You will need to take out your SBLive and buy a Promise ATA100 Controller for around 30-40 Dollars. asus A7M266 works great with Digi001 Only if you only install Digi001 and the Promise Ata100 Controller as PCI Cards. You do not need to disable USB and you can use USB MIDI Interface if you want. However, no room for SBLive on that system since PCI Slot 2 and 3 are the only ones that does not ruin Digi Performance and those are taken by Digi001 and Promise Card.

If you can not live with this limitation, then get an Asus A7V133. However you will need to change your RAM since this board takes PC133. Decide accordingly.

Unfortunately there is Nothing you can do to get your existing system working since A7A266 has Ali Magic Chipset and it will not work with Digi001.

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: yavuzj ]
http://volcanojazz.com
http://myspace.com/volcanojazz
Old 08-21-2001, 10:50 AM

Yavuz is correct. This A7A266 has been tried with Digi by experienced Digi users and it has not worked. Go with the A7M266 or A7V133. I'm waiting to see results on the A7V266 also.
There are also many people using the A7M266 without the Promise ATA card with great results and putting the Sound card in the last slot. Put Digi in slot 3 and force the IRQ to 10 in bios. If that doesn't work, then you can always buy the Promise card.
Good luck.
Allen
Old 08-21-2001, 10:57 AM

Chimo,
I have to take back what I said about that A7A266. I just found someone that is using it with the new bios version 1006 with success with Digi001. Try updating your bios to the latest bios and giving it a shot. I can't remember which OS he was using, but I think it was 98SE. Good luck.
Allen
Old 08-21-2001, 01:52 PM

Allen, could you post that link on the Asus A7A266. If this is the case, that is BIG news. That would mean there is another new chipset that works with the Digi, the Ali Magik. So, who is this new trail blazer?!!!

[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: JPS ]
Old 08-21-2001, 03:51 PM

Stephen G. Rivera
Member # 19477
posted August 15, 2001 10:34 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW, until recently I had Win ME on my DAW with many BSODs and freezes occurring for different reasons... I switched to Win98 "SE", and have not seen one BSOD, and no freezes since... -Steve ;->
System specs:
Mobo: ASUS A7A266 (bios ver. 1006)
CPU : AMD T-Bird 1ghz, 266FSB
Ram : 256megs DDR
HD : Maxtor 40gig, 7200rpm
vid : 3Dfx Voodoo 3000
Aud1: SB Live!
Aud2: Tascam US-428 (USB)
Sft : Pro Tools Free, Sonar, others...

--------------------

-=-=-=-| SteveR

I just received an email from him confirming this and said he got his Bios update version 1.006 at www.amdzone.com
I'll bet it is the bios version and not the Windows issue that he got this system running with Digi. Just a thought.
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2001, 03:55 PM

OOps,
I just noticed he was using PTFree. Well there goes that idea. I wish Digi would have kept that PTFree forum seperate from the PTLE. Sorry folks.
Allen [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]