Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2002, 08:35 AM

Default Smoking in your studio

No, I'm not talking about really hot playing.

What are your policies regarding smoking in your home studios? I know lots of musicians that wouldn't be able to perform without a cigarette burning beside them, but I don't want people smoking in my house. Anyone dealing with this issue? Ever have any problems because of it?

As someone who USED to smoke for years, I can understand how some musicians might not want to work for days in a non-smoking environment...but this is also my house. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Any experiences?

Rob
Old 03-18-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Smoking in your studio

My studio is set up in 2 rooms - control and tracking. I am a VERY heavy smoker myself. I don't allow smoking in the control room (tobacco, anyhow...) but I installed a pair of high output HEPA filters in the tracking room to deal with cigarrette smoke - They get shut off during tracking and turned on in between. I usually tell drummers who smoke to try and wait till between takes to do it (don't want that smoke on the overhead capsules) - and usually they are pretty good about it. To me it seems the biggest damage that will occur from smoke would be to pots and faders and perhaps buss connectors inside my mixer. Go in the other room to smoke...
Old 03-18-2002, 08:50 AM

when i used to smoke: smoking lamp is ON

after i quit smoking: smoking lamp is OFF
Old 03-18-2002, 08:51 AM

Yes,
in contrast to ever never smoking people former smokers often become most militant anti smokers.
Just had to say so after cosy balconies at temperatures around 0°.
[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 09:11 AM

i used to smoke heaps. stopped cold about 18 mths ago. i don't care if you smoke in the studio. might change my tune if the ventilation wasn't good - it's kinda bad for condensor capsules, not to mention patchbays, pots and non soldered connectors. i hear it causes serious health problems too.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:12 AM

No smoking in the control room EVER. If you value your gear, keep the smoke away.

Smoking in a seperate room may be a option, but I wouldn't recommend that either... damages mics too, and most A/C - heating systems circulate air throughout the entire facility - which means that even though you don't SEE it, those particles are getting into your control room and gear.

I have people step outside, and it's NEVER been an issue / problem. We have a nice outdoor patio area just off the office / lounge, and people can easily step outside, listen to a take playback and enjoy a smoke if they want one. No one has ever griped about it, and in fact, they seem to respect that we take pride in our studio and take good care of our gear.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:34 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lalaman:
Yes,
in contrast to ever never smoking people former smokers often become most militant anti smokers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lalaman
I have to agree with that. Since I am a former smoker, I tend to be more sensitive to it than friends who have never smoked. Maybe I have to be that way just to avoid going back.

Rob
Old 03-18-2002, 09:37 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe:
No smoking in the control room EVER. If you value your gear, keep the smoke away.

Smoking in a seperate room may be a option, but I wouldn't recommend that either... damages mics too, and most A/C - heating systems circulate air throughout the entire facility - which means that even though you don't SEE it, those particles are getting into your control room and gear.

I have people step outside, and it's NEVER been an issue / problem. We have a nice outdoor patio area just off the office / lounge, and people can easily step outside, listen to a take playback and enjoy a smoke if they want one. No one has ever griped about it, and in fact, they seem to respect that we take pride in our studio and take good care of our gear.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,

That probably works great in CA, but try to convince people to relax and have a smoke in the dead of winter in Canada!!! Brrrrrr... Although I did when I had to, and still see lots still do. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Rob
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2002, 10:12 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lalaman:
Yes,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hope that didn't sound militant (even though i used military terminology!). just quit a couple of weeks ago. i wasn't ready to quit, but my triplets weren't ready to start yet either. so is life....
Old 03-18-2002, 10:17 AM

I am a militant anti-smoker. No smoking in the house. Definately not in the studio. I go as a far as not inviting people over who do smoke. I hate smoke!!!!!!!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5