Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Avid

Default Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Spoons View Post
Can you better define the "future date" for the Ground Control template?

I think it would be absolutely perfect if Digidesign had their own pedal for the Eleven Rack, as long as it included two control pedals, one for volume and the other for WAH or what ever the user decides to CC control with it. CAT5 would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Keep up the good work Digidesign!!!
Sorry, but at the moment I do not have any specifics on availability date - I do know that they're working on it and are trying to get it out as soon as possible. What that ultimately means is anyone's guess...!

If I get any more specifics, I'll post again...
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Sorry, but at the moment I do not have any specifics on availability date - I do know that they're working on it and are trying to get it out as soon as possible. What that ultimately means is anyone's guess...!

If I get any more specifics, I'll post again...
Thanks!!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:44 AM

The GCP is cool but it does not seem to have song mode as an option. For controllers and systems like this, I really like song mode. Essentially you call up a song which has all of your patches for that song and spreads them out across the buttons in any order. So I'll set mine up from left to right; intro, verses, solo... etc.

So recalling the patches for each song is very quick. Then you just select the song between songs and all your patches for that song are ready to go.

The good news though is that even for the midi challenged, setting up the basics of a midi foot controller should be pretty easy and should happen quickly with or without a template.

1) Program Changes call up patches. It's just 1 number to send.

2) Control Changes can toggle effects on and off. That is 2 numbers to program.

3) Continuous Controllers can set up things like expression pedals to change parameters over time and that is really 1 number to program.

The best thing would be if a controller would pull the patch names from the 11R, then you would not have to enter them twice but that requires a bit more collaboration on the part of the manufacturers and probably won't happen right away.

Personally, I have an Behringer FCB 1010 now which is fine but I want a display of the patch names on the floor. So I'll be getting something else soon, like a Rocktron All Access or maybe a Liquid Foot.

Steve
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Just reached the end of the thread and I was hoping you guys had done all the "foot work" for me by now. (Pun more than intended.)

I have a Yamaha MFC10 and my goal is to use the 11R live and switch between rigs for songs. I'm midi-illiterate for the most part and my hope is to be able to turn effects off and on in one rig with midi commands. Someone tell me this is possible, because manuals still seem to be written for those well versed in tech/Greek.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Yes it is possible and very easy. Here is all you need to know.

1) Pick the effect you want and look at the 11r manual pages 95-99 and find the CC# that controls that effect. For example CC# 36 controls the reverb.

2) Program your foot controller to send 2 midi commands to the 11r CC # 36

Midi has 128 possible values (0-127). The manual also shows that for turning on or off effects you simply send 0-63 to turn an effect off or 64-127 to turn an effect on.

So you set an IA (instant access) switch on your foot controller to send "0" to CC# 36 to turn off the reverb and "64" to CC# 36 to turn on the reverb.

It's easy.

Steve
Old 11-03-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout-hearted View Post
Just reached the end of the thread and I was hoping you guys had done all the "foot work" for me by now. (Pun more than intended.)

I have a Yamaha MFC10 and my goal is to use the 11R live and switch between rigs for songs. I'm midi-illiterate for the most part and my hope is to be able to turn effects off and on in one rig with midi commands. Someone tell me this is possible, because manuals still seem to be written for those well versed in tech/Greek.
Dude, I too never programmed a midi thingamabob til 2 weeks back.

Since that time I bought and failed with a Behringer FCB1010 then got a Roland.

I had that Roland up and running in an hour. Stage ready in 2.

However, my setup is super simple:
- 1 RIG per show
- the midi-fc only turns things on and off

So on mine I have it controlling:
DIST, DEL, FX1, FX2, MOD, VOL on/off, WAH on/off, VOL sweep, WAH sweep, TUNER on/off, FX Loop mix 0 or 100% (when using an outboard tuner)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks guys. You are giving me hope. I've been trying to work through the manuals this morning and it seems like the phone won't stop ringing to allow me some real focus time.

Once I set up these commands, are they going to be universal from rig to rig. In other words, if I set 34 to turn reverb off in my L4, will it do it in L5 as well? Hopefully I don't have to set every effect in every rig one by one.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout-hearted View Post
Thanks guys. You are giving me hope. I've been trying to work through the manuals this morning and it seems like the phone won't stop ringing to allow me some real focus time.

Once I set up these commands, are they going to be universal from rig to rig. In other words, if I set 34 to turn reverb off in my L4, will it do it in L5 as well? Hopefully I don't have to set every effect in every rig one by one.
On my rig, yes. Don't know how your footcontroller works.
The Roland FC300 has a CC only mode which I use with the 11R.

So I goto my Twin rig and it turns everything on and off.
Then I twiddle the knob and goto my Vox rig and it turns everything on/off.
I can also switch modes and turn on my different rigs but I find by the time I get my foot to double down on 2 pedals 2 sets of times I could easily have walked over 5 feet

I tried working with Yamaha support to see if that one would work and they talked me into a circle and a half and couldn't promise anything at the end of 14 emails back and forth.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM

Smile Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

I have a roland gt-8 left over now that i own the eleven rack (using it mainly live). I heard that i might be able to use the gt-8 as a midi controller for the eleven rack. Anyone know if this is possibe? Otherwise i'm trying to decide on what foot controller to go with. I'm a complete newbie to midi so any help i can get would be appreciated. thx
Old 11-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumminsix View Post
On my rig, yes. Don't know how your footcontroller works.
The Roland FC300 has a CC only mode which I use with the 11R.

So I goto my Twin rig and it turns everything on and off.
Then I twiddle the knob and goto my Vox rig and it turns everything on/off.
I can also switch modes and turn on my different rigs but I find by the time I get my foot to double down on 2 pedals 2 sets of times I could easily have walked over 5 feet

I tried working with Yamaha support to see if that one would work and they talked me into a circle and a half and couldn't promise anything at the end of 14 emails back and forth.
Here's my headache. The "memory function" mode of my controller will only go up to 99. If the CC# for an item in the 11R is higher it appears I'm sunk.

Most of today I've read manuals and seemed to be more confused than ever. I just don't get the lingo, especially when terms are not exactly the same in each manual. Yamaha's manual is too keyboard focused. Yamaha Support is supposed to call me back and they haven't. The seller I bought my 11R from considers this kind of help "training" and not something tech support should help me with.

I'm to the point of just getting an effects processor and using the loop in the 11. I only have so many spare hours to mess with this.