Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2023, 07:17 PM

Default Apogee Rosetta 800 FW on new M2 Mac PT 2023?

Longtime PT user. I've been out of the loop for a couple of years. I recently purchased MacMini M2 and have this Apogee Rosetta 800 with firewire card I've used for years in the past on my older MacPro and newer PT versions (I believe 12 was the last).

I believe I have the proper cabling (TB3>TB2,TB2>FW) but can't seem to find any information as to if I can run this on the new rig with PT 2023. I realize they no longer support FW interfaces but it seems that some people can still get them to work. Can't find clear confirmation on my gear specifically.

I would rather not have to purchase a new interface if not necessary. Any information on if it's possible to run on M2/PT 2023 would be greatly appreciated. If so, how would I go about getting it recognized in PT? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2023, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Apogee Rosetta 800 FW on new M2 Mac PT 2023?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trav711 View Post
Longtime PT user. I've been out of the loop for a couple of years. I recently purchased MacMini M2 and have this Apogee Rosetta 800 with firewire card I've used for years in the past on my older MacPro and newer PT versions (I believe 12 was the last).

I believe I have the proper cabling (TB3>TB2,TB2>FW) but can't seem to find any information as to if I can run this on the new rig with PT 2023. I realize they no longer support FW interfaces but it seems that some people can still get them to work. Can't find clear confirmation on my gear specifically.
Nothing here has anything to do with Pro Tools or Avid. Pro Tools needs a CoreAudio interface, it does not matter if it's USB, Thunderbolt, PCIe, FireWire or wet string, as long as there is a CoreAudio driver available for the interface...

Apple long ago discontinued the generic Firewire driver which your Apogee hardware used to reply on, so your only hope would be with Apogee, again absolutely nothing to do with Pro Tools or Avid. It would need Apogee to do their own drivers for Apple Silicon. And since that interface is many years beyond Apogee's end of life it's not even worth looking or asking, Apogee will not have written drivers for it. So yes you need to buy a new Interface. You might want to use the Rosetta as an outboard ADAT converter.

I'll point out that RME has Apple silicon drivers available for their old Firewire interfaces. RME understands doing long term support, and the value of that to their users.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-24-2023 at 09:16 PM.