Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Default AAE-6101 error

Arrggh. I get ht following error ALL THE TIME regardless of how many or how few plug-ins I have running (sometimes none at all!) Adjustments in Playback Engine do not fix anything. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. It's infuriating and renders PT11 basically useless.

Here's the full message.

"A CPU overload occurred. If this happens again, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins. (AAE -6101)"

any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm "running" PT11.3.1 on a macbook pro retina with yosemite 10.10.5, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ram

thank you!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:12 AM

Default Re: AAE-6101 error

I've recently started experiencing the same on a session I've moved to and fro from PT 8HD to Pt 12.5.1 I'm wondering if it's a corrupt session caused by some sort of incompatibility?

https://flickr.com/#/photos/magnesi/sets/
Old 06-26-2016, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipu View Post
Arrggh. I get ht following error ALL THE TIME regardless of how many or how few plug-ins I have running (sometimes none at all!) Adjustments in Playback Engine do not fix anything. I can't imagine I'm the only one with this issue. It's infuriating and renders PT11 basically useless.

Here's the full message.

"A CPU overload occurred. If this happens again, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog, or removing some plug-ins. (AAE -6101)"

any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm "running" PT11.3.1 on a macbook pro retina with yosemite 10.10.5, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB ram

thank you!
I gather you've done the regular optimizations and are using an external drive for your session right? You trying to run anything else on the computer while working inside PT? On the system in my profile I had three boot partitions at one time one of which was Yosemite. It was too unstable for production work with 6101 errors and other errors so I eliminated that and went back to OSX 10.9.5 for the majority of my work in PT11.3.1

QAPLA!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:34 AM

I'm not using an external drive but I think I managed to figure out what was causing it. I installed Maschine a while back and that had a conflict with the Avid Core Audio plugin which prevented Maschine from launching. To fix that I was instructed by NI to remove the file from it's directory. This enabled Machine to launch. NI eventually fixed this issue and I simply forgot to put the Avid Core file back where it belonged. So, I did that and it now PT11 seems to work properly although in a session with many plug-ins I'm now getting the AE 9173 error which tells me to try deactivating or removing Native plug-ins. Still annoying but WAY better than the 6101 error. I never had these CPU issues until I upgraded to PT11 and Yosemite. My old PT LE8 ran beautifully on a less powerful Mac.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:33 AM

No secondary drive is definitely a problem, unless you have a really good SSD in that mac.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 AM

thank you for responding. i don't think i have a ssd. but i'm really not sure. i'm not educated enough about macs to know how to find out. assuming i do not have an SSD, what do you recommend for optimal performance? storing all sessions on an external drive?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
thank you for responding. i don't think i have a ssd. but i'm really not sure. i'm not educated enough about macs to know how to find out. assuming i do not have an SSD, what do you recommend for optimal performance? storing all sessions on an external drive?
Your MBP Retina does have an SSD, the question now is what exact MBP (date name and screen size or exact model number, CPU description--which you already gave... BUT I suspect you are quoting turbo boost numbers which does not help triangulae this model) and what exact SSD (model number or description, size of the disk). Modern/last few years MBP Retina have super fast Internal PCIe/NVMe based SSDs and typically you are better off running of that internal SSD than an external drive.

To get any useful advice you need to work out how to describe exactly what you have. Model number is printed on the back of your computer. The "About this Mac" under the finder Apple menu tells basic info, the "System Report..." or similar button on that pop up gives more information. Including being able to navigate to information on any component in the Mac. Edit: If you have a recent MBP the fast SSD disk will show up under "NVMExpress" in the tree in the left panel of System Report. Click on that item then you can just cut and past the text from th right hand panel here if needed. The OS X disk utility also describes the model disk you have etc. if you googled stuff like "how to I find my Mac version" I am sure you would find useful information.

Is the Mac fully optimized? What standard trouble shooting have you done? Trashed prefs? Tried new empty session? temp. Removed all third party plugins? Interface driver up to date? Test with built in output?.... Etc. Etc. Report back once you have been over all that. Start at the "help us help you" link up top of every DUC web page. Start with a io buffer size of 512 samples, increase if it is unstable still or just set it to the maximum while mixing, decrease if it is super stable and you must have less latency for tracking. Set to three CPUs/99%, ignore errors *not* checked.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-26-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
I'm not using an external drive but I think I managed to figure out what was causing it. I installed Maschine a while back and that had a conflict with the Avid Core Audio plugin which prevented Maschine from launching. To fix that I was instructed by NI to remove the file from it's directory. This enabled Machine to launch. NI eventually fixed this issue and I simply forgot to put the Avid Core file back where it belonged. So, I did that and it now PT11 seems to work properly although in a session with many plug-ins I'm now getting the AE 9173 error which tells me to try deactivating or removing Native plug-ins. Still annoying but WAY better than the 6101 error. I never had these CPU issues until I upgraded to PT11 and Yosemite. My old PT LE8 ran beautifully on a less powerful Mac.
You've run into the known incompatibility between Avid Core Audio and NI hardware dependent stuff. You don't even need to have any NI hardware, just software that can use NI hardware to cause the issue. Don't know if Avid and NI ever fixed this problem; each points the finger at the other. This is one of those things where giving complete info on what's in your system can help with a remedy.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Here's the full message.

thank you!

Hi and HNY to whoever may read this very old thread.

I had a similar problem yesterday (01-05-21) trying to record 16 tracks from an X-32 console into Pro Tools via USB
No plugins.

The X-USB was recognized in both the audio midi setup and the Pro Tools Playback Engine.

My MBP is running Yosemite 10.10.5
Pro Tools 11.3.2

During the session we tried everything we could think of to remedy this.
Clicking and/or unclicking every box in the Playback Window.

Changing H/W Buffer size.
Cache size.

Song lengths were aprox 4 minutes long.

Sometimes the recording would work with no problem.
Sometimes PT would error in 30 secs, 1 min, 2, min...

I changed DAWs (on the same MBP) to Nuendo and recorded without any problems.

I guess it's time to upgrade to a more stable version of PT although PT11HD has always been stable on this MBP.
I haven't upgraded because I find having a PT11HD comes in handy from time to time.

Just last week I received some audio files that were recorded during a video shoot. Importing that stereo .wav file in PT Ultimate 2020.11 (desktop machine) was a problem.
I was only getting 10 minutes of audio although the files was 33 minutes long.
Researching this I found (here) that this was a know problem of some sort.

Importing that same file on my MBP opened the file in it's entirety.

Transferring the session created on the MBP in PT11HD to the machine running Ultimate 2020.11 was a success. I was then able to move forward and work on the file.

So what's a fella to do?
Any suggestions?
Upgrade to PT 12.8.1?
How do I get a license for that version?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
AQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.54.58 AM.jpg (84.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.58.00 AM.jpg (80.4 KB, 0 views)

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6
Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9
Black Lion modified OMNI HD w/XB clock
Multiple Black Lion modified 192 FM/XB interfaces
Mac OSX ML 10.8.4 running PT10.3.7 HD4 PCIx (TDM & Native)