Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Avid buys Euphonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Kolchak View Post
I seriously doubt this is the monumental cock-blocking maneuver, designed to assure Avid position in the market place by locking out other DAW's from using the hardware, that some of the more alarmed posts here seem to suggest.

I'm really growing in optimism about greater future integration, both within the (what I guess will mainly be) "Audio" & "Video" divisions of Avid, and between their products and 3rd party products.

This acquisition, and the recent M-powered / Mackie hybrid is raising some interesting possibilities - in my opinion.
Have you seriously not followed Digidesign and Avids past??? All they care about is breaking compatibility with not only other manufactures but even their own. Go buy complete production toolkit and see if you get VCA's etc.etc.etc
the only good news is digi will now have to support things like MADI welcome to the 2000's Avid now your only 10 years behind all the cool technology.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG MUSIC View Post
you mean you did not see the BIG ASS SIGN that says STUDIO MIXING SYSTEM, that also has a picture of...what do you know AN ICON

Man you need to chill out and stop spreeding panic rumors like is 2012...
This is only on the interim digidesign page. I dont think ICON is in any way on its way out - but they HAVE forgotten it if you go directly to the avid page...

Euro-Sound Studio
www.euro-sound.org
Old 04-13-2010, 10:48 AM

I've been thingking for a long time that the surface situation over at AviGiPhonixMaudEltaEtcetera was getting interesting

There was a far cry between surfaces.

I see this as being their solution to LE grade interfaces.

Command 8 and C|24, and the like, are probably the last of 'Digi' 'LE' interfaces, and we'll now likely see Venue/Icon/Euphonics lineups and that will be the end of that. Aside from continuation of M-Audio surface/interfaces??

Makes sense for them to to snag an existing company for surfaces.... rather than R&D and private label internally or through 3rd parties.

Who knows... could speculate forever, but this is kinda interesting.

Personally, I'd rather see PT become solid than further expansion into hardware.... basics first.

I love 8, but I'd much rather see it ironed out before moving in any other direction...

Maybe their recent hunt for software engineers will turn something up soon. I hope

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafilmsound View Post
Have you seriously not followed Digidesign and Avids past??? All they care about is breaking compatibility with not only other manufactures but even their own.
Yes, most major corporations "care" about breaking their products. Avid hates money, and buying a dying company was both bad for business and the economy! By the way, global warming is also a hoax, and next week it shall being to rain monkeys.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A M View Post
This is only on the interim digidesign page. I dont think ICON is in any way on its way out - but they HAVE forgotten it if you go directly to the avid page...
Ok...before this goes out of hand, i was beeing sarcastic, ergo, the 2012 joke

I apologize if anybody got ofended

Any way, I would see this as the posibility of incorporating new technologies ( euphonix) into the icon line of controlers

Lets see whats up

take care
Old 04-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Yes, most major corporations "care" about breaking their products. Avid hates money, and buying a dying company was both bad for business and the economy! By the way, global warming is also a hoax, and next week it shall being to rain monkeys.
You clearly have no idea what your talking about. I can point to many reasons that avids stock has tanked in the past few years all stemming from dave lebolts influence on the way digidesign was run. It seems the new ceo of avid has a much better handle on the future of technology, but I'm going to wait to pass judgement till i see how they handle host based operation, integration, and technology advancement. Protools has been handcuffing professionals for years with no VST limited track count - ancient technology of their dsp chips - no folder tracks - no bins - and I could name well over a hundred other tools we've needed and been begging for years for. Im quite sure it handles your 8 tracks of rockin guitar licks just fine but for the advanced professional user it falls way short. With that said I have my hopes up with the new CEO and who knows maybe they will once again advance technology instead of hiding in the background watching the world go by. So yes looking at things I would say an interest in making money was very short sided and they lost their focus many years ago
Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 PM

I've been researching Euphonix's products from their artist line to their pro line of equipment and I have never seen a control surface work the way theirs does. The worst thing about Avid's pro tool's control surfaces was that they were locked into a box. If this move is to go outside the box for even further and better this would make Avid the Audio industry giant in terms of digital control surfaces working with other DAWs. Plus to note the work-flow in Euphonix was unmatched by anything I have ever seen!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafilmsound View Post
Have you seriously not followed Digidesign and Avids past??? All they care about is breaking compatibility with not only other manufactures but even their own.
They only break compatibility if there are technical/support issues.
I am using HD cards and interfaces that are 8 years old with 2010 computers and software. That is is almost unheard of the computer industry.
This is nothing but good news for Avid and Euphonix probably great news for Euphonix users who what to use Protools.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
They only break compatibility if there are technical/support issues.
I am using HD cards and interfaces that are 8 years old with 2010 computers and software. That is is almost unheard of the computer industry.
This is nothing but good news for Avid and Euphonix probably great news for Euphonix users who what to use Protools.
As a Euphonix user i agree it's great news if avid doesn't screw it up. if you are using hd crads that are 8 years old you are using older gen computers with pci-x. clearly this isn't digis doing but the advancement of computer technology. By compatibility I mean compatibility with other manufactures. For instance, Euphonix was having a terrible time trying to get their mc control surfaces to interface with protools and have as much functionality as it does. Digi was no help to them at all, and speaking with the engineers there, every time they figured a work around to hui limitations they were very excited but worried that digi would try and 'break' code with each new upgrade release of protools
Old 04-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A M View Post
If you click Pro Tools, Then Control surfaces and mixers, You will find Icon. As well as the interim Digi page of course.

Edit: I missed a page of bickering. So I will bow out of this quietly